PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a plastic bucket

snag96
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok. Dumb questions on the way. I have never used a spout with a bucket hung from it. Everything I have tapped was tube drops into 5 gallon buckets. I am getting some nice heavy 3 gallon buckets (for free) and would like to hang some. My question is, what spout should I get? What is the cheapest spout that will do the job? What is best way to make the hole in the bucket? It seems like melting a hole would keep it stronger but not necessary? Thanks.

SilverLeaf
01-20-2011, 04:00 PM
No need to melt the hole - just drill. I use both 5/16" and 7/16" hookless spouts and this works well. Can't remember what size hole I drilled but it was just big enough that the spout (and the "fin" on top that keeps the bucket in place) would fit through.

stoweski
01-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Get some rope, 2x3 or 2x4 blocks of wood - any thickness, and some screw hooks - make sure they're strong enough.

Drill two holes in the blocks of wood. Put the screw eye in the middle of he block between the two holes. Tie a knot in one end of the rope, string it around the tree and tie the other end through the other hold. Hang the bucket (with a small hole drilled in it) on the screw hook. Tap the tree above the bucket and use your same spout/tubing system you have.

This is similar to the way that was shown to us at the sugaring workshop at PMRC in October last year by Tim Wilmot. Small block of wood with a screw hook and some rope. Does the job. Keeps the bucket up without pulling the spout out.

Maybe Dr. Perkins can clarify this if I don't have the setup correct but I believe that's how it worked.

Keith

snag96
01-20-2011, 06:53 PM
That sounds really interesting. I have a sawmill so there is tons of lumber scraps and lots of baling twine from the hay. Anyone try this method that can give some feedback?

C.Wilcox
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Are you planning to have covers on the buckets or not? Cheapest tap that would do the job is a plastic tubing tap. Drill a hole through the side of the bucket large enough for the tap. Put the tap through the hole and then drive it into the hole in the tree. You won't be able to remove the bucket, but you'll be able to swing it to tip the sap out of the bucket. Another cheap option is the plastic nylon bucket taps. They work great for not a lot of money, but you won't be able to put a cover on the bucket.

Dennis H.
01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I used a short length of 1/2 copper pipe heated up with a propane torch to melt a hole in the side of the bucket just below the edge of the lid when set on the bucket. That way the hole is the highest it can be and not interfer with the lid setting on the bucket.

2 reasons I used the pipe method, I didn't have a drill bit large enought to make the hole and also I felt that the ring of plastic that was formed around the hole by melting would reinforce the hole and bucket when it was full of sap.

Now I am using only 2gal buckets but I can't believe that another gal will be any worse.

snag96
01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
C.Wilcox - Do you think the 5/16 tree saver tubing tap would be strong enough to hold the bucket up? I have tons of those now. I was thinking I could drill the hole just big enough to remove the bucket. I know the 5/16" aluminum tree savers would be great for this, but I'm trying to slow the wallet bleeding as much as I can.

Dennis - what are you using for spouts?

Dennis H.
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that, I use the 5/16 aluminum hookless Leader taps.

snag96
01-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Would love to find some used ones like those....

adk1
01-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Just goto the Leader website and buy some

snag96
01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Sure. What was your credit card number? :)

C.Wilcox
01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
C.Wilcox - Do you think the 5/16 tree saver tubing tap would be strong enough to hold the bucket up?

Should be plenty strong. There's a producer here in WI that runs quite a few pails that way every year. If you're concerned you could always test it first by tapping a non-maple, hang the pail, and fill the bucket with water.