PDA

View Full Version : Tubing setup ?????

3rdgen.maple
01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
This one might be hard to understand the layout of the land but I will try my best to paint the picture. At the very begining of the mainline in order to get the proper slope I have the mainline over my head for a short distance of about 50 feet. It sits in a hollow with a section of about 20 taps to the south where the laterals coming into it are up on higher ground and is perfect but on the north side about 30 feet or so down the line I would have to put about 20 taps well over my head to get the slope to the mainline. Do I say the heck with it and tap them that high or can a star sap lift be installed rather not at the end of the mainline but 30 feet or so down the line. So there would be taps on both sides of the lift. Is this even feasable or am I going to be on the losing end. I want it at its optimal performance, Im thinking if I tapped those few trees lower if would lift the sap anyways but would the star lift work better? Might I add these trees are my best producers every year.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-20-2011, 04:46 AM
I think the star lift as you propose will wok fine. I have several places where I do that. Sap runs from 2 directions to the point of the star and then up the lift to the mainline. Don't make the lift any higher than you have to. I have put a vacuum gauge on such a line both above and below the lift and could not discern any difference (about a 5 foot lift).

3rdgen.maple
01-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks I think the lift would probably be about 4 feet.