PDA

View Full Version : Metal bucket spout comparison

Bucket Head
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
The other day I was comparing a few different brands of metal 5/16" that I have here. Out of curiosity, I inserted each one into the 5/16" hole on a drill guide to see how far they went in. To my amazement, the Leader aluminum spout does not even begin to go into the 5/16" hole. The other spouts which are stainless, start into the hole. Does anyone know what the purpose of the "oversized" taper portion of the Leader spout is for? Are they supposed to hold better than the others? It does take a little more effort to set the Leader spout than the others, but now I know why. Each year, on a few frozen tree's, I end up splitting the wood trying to set the Leader spouts. No splits on the other spiles. I realize splitting the wood is not what were supposed to do, but it can not be helped with this large taper. Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve

Bucket Head
01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Nobody else has observed the differences in tapers on the 5/16" bucket spouts? Well, if you get the opportunity, compare a Leader aluminum spile with a CDL stainless health bucket spile. You will see what I'm talking about. The outside diameter and the length of the taper are quite different.

I'm going to try a few different brands this year and compare results. We'll see how easy they set and if they pull out often with full buckets hanging on them.

Steve