PDA

View Full Version : Sugarhouse music

ascutneymaple
01-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Getting pumped up for sugaring season, only about a month out now...Everyone knows a long night of boiling ain't nothin without some tunes crankin' in the sugarhouse...

So what kind of music does everyone like to put on when they're in the sugarhouse makin syrup?

shane hickey
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Getting pumped up for sugaring season, only about a month out now...Everyone knows a long night of boiling ain't nothin without some tunes crankin' in the sugarhouse...

So what kind of music does everyone like to put on when they're in the sugarhouse makin syrup?
Nice Ac DC or any other rock during the night, country during the day, got to have something that keeps me awake other then hitting myself in the face.
shane

Z/MAN
01-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Classic rock

kiegscustoms
01-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Good ol' Bluegrass

slammer3364
01-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Classic country on Sirus Roadhouse,maybe even a quick dance with my better half

innoxen
01-20-2011, 05:30 AM
a must is tunes.... almost anything from Old Crow Medicine Show to Slow Hand, DAC, Meatloaf, and got to have some Steve Miller Band.... and must agree a dance with the one you love and embarrass the kids...

nymapleguy607
01-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Needs to be country or the race if it happens to be sunday

Farmboy
01-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Country music. I usully listen to the radio 92.5

lastwoodsman
01-20-2011, 06:05 AM
nothin but country until sat night then American roots music on NPR
Woodsman

Dave Y
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
Who can hear music in the sugarhouse? to much noise couldn't listen if I wanted to.

Ausable
01-20-2011, 07:18 AM
---Nothing but Real Country -- Good Old Tyme Blue Grass ---- LOL

mapleack
01-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Who can hear music in the sugarhouse? to much noise couldn't listen if I wanted to.

Yeah, when we switched to gas burners it ruined the music. Before that, classic rock, late at night transition to metal. :)

Dennis H.
01-20-2011, 07:40 AM
There is a lot of classic country lovers on here.

For me it is about anything, but perfer 80's rock and all country well maybe except that real old country from back in Hank Sr. days.

peckfarm
01-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Start out with a Christian mix: Mercy Me, Chris Rice, Jeremy Camp.

Then to the "Good Times" mix:
Groovin, Take It Easy, Cecilia, Hey Baby, Lovestruck Baby, Fall To Pieces, Dancing in the Moonlight, Sugar Sugar, with Eagles, Stevie Ray, Marshall Tucker, John Denver and many more.

Then it is time for Jazz: Jeff Baker, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Sinatra, Diana Krall and others.

When the mixes fail it is time for Bluegrass, old country, some new country and then the sweetest music of all...

"boilin roilin sap over fire."

Dill
01-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I getting a portable sirius transponder so I can listen in the sugarhouse. Outlaw country and bulegrass it is. Almost killed the battery in the truck trying to listen with the doors open last year. Commercial radio kills me on the 2nd or 3rd day of listening and NPR is no good after midnight.

treefinder
01-20-2011, 11:49 AM
classic rock to alternative for me , i only have one country bumkin in my house- the wife. so i'll let her change on a slim occaision.

xyz5150
01-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Classic rock, Van Halen (5150), Ted Nugent, and so on. Dill at first i thought you wrote country should be outlawed.:lol:

Dill
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Alt County would probably be a better description, basically not what you get on normal radio. That's pop country

ennismaple
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Mostly country but I'll switch it up to something heavier when I get sick of hearing the same Top 40 songs for weeks on end.

With the Force 5 the radio has to be cranked to hear it! Add in the filter presss, sap transfer pump and RO and it's deafening.

We learned years ago that the critters won't come into the sugar camp if the radio gets left on. I guess they don't like country!

adk1
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
we dont have alot of music going, but if we do its usually Country. We actually like to hear the evaporator running! We will however turn on teh TV for March Madness

RickinFarmington
01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
XM Sat radio with bluegrass and bluesville.

sapman
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
For me, it's usually an old tv during March madness. If I listen to the radio, it wouldn't be country. Probably alternative/hard rock, Christian or even classical, depending on who else may be around. But of course, classical doesn't work in the middle of the night!

powerdub
01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
i'm all about anything metal, hairband or 80's but I have to admit since deadliest catch started I ran cable to the sugarhouse, oh and not mention nascar. What can I say, we watch a lot of tube there.

BryanEx
01-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I have to say, and it's the only time of year I can stand it, but I like to hear traditional folk fiddle music while sugarin. It just seems to bring the whole tradition aspect to the forefront and makes me wonder about sugarin in the 1800's and how good it must have been after the dead of winter.

Asian Long Horned Beetle
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I usually just play whatever, but it depends on the level of intoxication... mostly country cause we know the words. And sometimes I like to listen to NOAA weather radio just to piss everyone off who is keeping me company late into the morning... and of course to see if its going to freeze at night.

3rdgen.maple
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Guys we have got to start tapping soon! You know we are getting anxious when a post is started about what type of music we listen to in the sugarhouse lol. I personally tried the music thing and heres the conclusion I came too. First off I get real tired of hearing the same songs play over and over every 30 minutes on the radio, second I get tired of everyone who walks in the door either turn it up, or down or change the station to what they like and third the evaporator just plain ole talks to me and I can tell when it needs wood or its getting close to syrup or I need a little more defoamer without even looking at the rig, so after not being able to hear that and listening to music I cant stand or my ears are ringing from satan screaming through the speakers or Im saying shhhh constantly cause a good tune is on and I cant hear it I decided the radio needed to take the trip out the door and into the snowbank. But to my suprise last night my 11 year old walks in the door after shoping with mom he pulls out a new radio from the bag and says " I bought us a new radio for the sugarhouse cause the old one doesnt work" Lucky me.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-21-2011, 05:35 AM
ac/dc, kid rock, ozzy, zepplin, cooper, whitesnake, Eminem

wdchuck
01-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Classic rock, talk radio, and NPR..........used to have a little TV to catch March Madness, but found I cant concentrate on an evaporator, filter press, RO, and a wood fire with that extra distraction, so I television has been banished from the sugarhouse........but what I really look forward to is when the first Red Sox spring training game is broadcast! That's just the best- listening to the game on the radio and making a barrell or two of syrup at the same time!

Cardigan99
01-21-2011, 06:33 AM
Satellite in the shack.. Usually Boneyard since they did away with Buzzsaw (where else could you hear the likes of Robin Trower, UFO and Uriah Heep?).

Talk Radio if we're boiling on the weekdays.

sugarmountain
01-21-2011, 07:44 AM
I like adk1's idea of hearing the evaporator running. Brings you back a ways when we didnt have all this crap running and blowers, vacuums, pumps all that stuff. All it used to be was the arch doors screaching shut and the sccops and skimmers clanking around....ah...those were the days! How many of us shut all that crap off once in a while just for that reason? gotta love the old school.

nymapleguy607
01-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I like adk1's idea of hearing the evaporator running. Brings you back a ways when we didnt have all this crap running and blowers, vacuums, pumps all that stuff. All it used to be was the arch doors screaching shut and the sccops and skimmers clanking around....ah...those were the days! How many of us shut all that crap off once in a while just for that reason? gotta love the old school.

I gotta agree with that. Sometimes it is nice just to listen to the evaporator talking. Unfortunatly I would fall a sleep doing that late at night. So the radio is nice too.

smitty76
01-21-2011, 08:16 AM
depends on who all is here, but bluegrass is one of myfavorites.

briduhunt
01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I ran cable TV to my shed last year when I ran 220 for the electric. So I watch TV or Listen to radio either classic rock or talk radio.

Rockwood
01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Saturday and Sunday's it always NASCAR, That's when the spring fever hits the most. ;)

cvmaple
01-22-2011, 07:52 AM
I was thinking about posting alternative country(Robert Earl Keen,Todd Snider,Hayes Carl. In Canada we have Fred Eaglesmith,Blackie and the Rodeo Kings etc.) but Dill beat me to it. The sappers who listen to the sounds of the evaporator hissing and the cedar wood popping are purists. Probably the best is to have someone with a guitar come and play live.I had that last year on the final day. great way to end the season.

peacemaker
01-22-2011, 09:11 AM
spencer lewis has a cd out called lighter then fancy

farmall h
01-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Michael Bolton & Kenny G! Just kidding...classic rock & 80's Hair Bands...you stick with what you grew up on I guess.

Dill
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I forgot I do have quite a bit of live music at the sugar house. Across the street is a real garage band, in an actual garage. They play funk and classic rock. But you can't hear too much besides the bass in the sugar house. There is a local bluegrass band that wants to come over I tap their trees. And they are called "Cordwood". So entertainment and BTUs all in one.

sgsommers
01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
METALLICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a side of PBR.

Teuchtar
01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Lynyrd Synyrd. Sweet home....
Natalie McMaster. Cape Breton Fiddle.

tuckermtn
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
celtic fiddle here also...Ashley McIsaac, Slainte m'hath, Enter the Haggis, Natalie McMaster

Zac Brown, NPR, and above all else, any red sox game...

Randy Brutkoski
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Good thing for auto draw offs, because i know some of you guys fall asleep listening to this sappy music. I am with Bob, 80's hairbands all the way. There is no way you will get tired with that stuff cranked. Ozzie, Kiss, I am starting to get pumped all ready.

Randy Brutkoski
01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
And dont tell us you are just kidding Bob, I heard you have a poster of Kenny G in your bedroom.

farmall h
01-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for your vote of confidence Randy. Crank up some VanHalen, AC/DC, Scynird, Ozzie, 38 Special, and maybe a little MJ and that will keep y'all awake! A little "Country Rock" is good for the mix as well.:cool:

michiganfarmer2
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
metal and country

OneLegJohn
01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Easy Instrumentals, channel 973 on Dish Network. Helps my wife put the boys down for a naps. Jackie Gleason was a talented man.

collinsmapleman2012
01-25-2011, 06:55 PM
country usually, and if its past 9 or stuff aint goin my way its rock any kind

Potters3
01-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Old stereo in sugarhouse where I boil has a 8 track. We listen to 3dog, CCR, had other but they are the only ones that still work.

Country if the radio decides to come in (only channel even close to working)

May have to bring my ipod up this year. But woodn't seem right.

poolguy
01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
hmmmm .......this is not what we usally listen to but i think im gonna put together a looped tape and play some songs like these outside the shack this year! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0 and anotherhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw can anyone think of anymore songs like these that would hit the scheme of things?

poolguy
01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
oops looks like only one link at a time. heres the other http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw

GramaCindy
02-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm with 3rdgen, like to listen to nature talk. Not many people like the same kind of music. So I'll go with the peace and quiet. We'll see how that works for me! LOL!

ComputerSteve
03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
I boil outside on the back patio listening to my iPod Touch. I listen to everything from 60's music (Mamas & Papas, Peter-Paul-Mary, Associations) to country-pop to hard rock. If I need to get a lot of work done, it's hard rock and if I'm just sittin' back relaxing while the sap boils it's 60 folk music.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
well radio died so using internet pod cast 98 KUPD out of Phx,AZ

michigansugarman
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Jazz. Nothing like Ben Webster, King of the Tenor Sax, playing his beautiful, bluesy ballads or Les McCann and Eddie Harris doing Compared to What and Cold Duck Time!

04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
How bout sugar shack by phish