PDA

View Full Version : dark syrup

maplefarmer
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
i have a few quarts of dark syrup left from last year, could i mix it in with the first sap this season, ? to help sweeten the pan , or would it make this seasons first syrup come off darker than should be. i would mix it in a 2x6 that prob. takes [guessing] 10 gal to start up the fire?

Haynes Forest Products
01-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Why would you ruin good dark syrup by diluting it with lite:lol: Yes it will add to the darkness its all accumilitive:cry:

3rdgen.maple
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
10 gallons in a 2x6 will be all used up by the time the match goes out. When I fired mine up the very first time I had 100 gallons and boiled like an hour and was done. A big tease that was. Lots of times I have personally dumped last years syrup in the pans. My problem is the family will just push aside the old stuff and reach for the new so I beat them by adding it my pans but normally I do it towards the end of the year when Im making dark anyways. Adding dark to dark gets you dark adding light to dark gets you dark unless your adding alot.

red maples
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
I personally would wait and get the pans sweetened with the new sap and wait until its that time of season when your making consistant medium and then add it in. but thats just me.

maplwrks
01-20-2011, 09:36 AM
I would do the same thing.....

ADKMAPLE
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
No way I would, that is good syrup. I prefer Grade A Dark Amber