PDA

View Full Version : Adding a pan to the evaporator

snag96
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I currently have a 2x6 evaporator that has 2-2x3 pans (stainless steel). Both have dividers and the back pan is a drop flue. Today I feel I got a really good deal on a very solid, well made (English tin / not homemade) 3x3 divided pan that I would like to incorporate into my setup. My thoughts were adding it to be the front pan would be best as I will have to account for it's larger width. Also thought it would make a good syrup pan as it is reversible. Any thoughts? Maybe I'm just nuts. ;)
Thanks.

snag96
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Actually, would it be better to add it on as the back pan and avoid redoing the fire box area? Would it be dumb though to have the sap go through it before the drop flue? Adding it to the back would probably be way easier... I need someones advice with more experience than me for sure. Thanks guys.

Haynes Forest Products
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Snag96 I had a 2x6 english ti that was 3 pans. I give up server error wont let me post the rest of my response

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Not sure how a 3x3 pan is going to fit on a 2' arch unless you make some weird design changes??

snag96
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
I guess what I would do is open up the back and put on an extension that is 3x3. I guess I was figuring it would use more of the heat that would end up in the chimney. Is this a bad idea? I can always resell the pan if it is. BTW- it's a homemade arch, so I wouldn't be cannibalizing something that is high end.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-19-2011, 08:07 PM
No, probably a good idea if you can design the arch so the pan would fit. Probably see a big increase in gph and a good use of wasted heat!