PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shallow well pump

FunnyFarm
01-19-2011, 05:57 AM
I have a cheap shallow well pump. it has a built in switch so once it pressurizes it shuts off. If i was to pipe my bulk tank air tight and put a check valve on the exit of this thing does anyone think it might work for vacuum? I'm a beginner to all this stuff I do have an old milk vac pump but a releaser isn't in the budget this year. i'm just trying to put together the best setup i can and i'll continue to upgrade every year... Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...
thanks,
John

arcticmaple8
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
it depends on the pumping capabilities, 20 inches of vacuum is equal to about 10 psi, so the pump needs to make 10 psi before it starts pushing anything out. so in theory it should work. We had an electric extractor last year we made, we used a wayne lawn sprinkler pump 1.5 hp, it worked well we also used a pvc swing check valve threaded from grainger item number 4GTV9. we also used a cheap plastic float switch to turn pump on and off. Plumbing needs to be air tight from check valve back to the tank, any leaks and the pump will just cavatate. good luck

3rdgen.maple
01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Im a little confused? Are you saying you want to use a Shallow well pump that pumps water as a vac pump? I really dont think it will work and probably will just sit there and cavitate and burn the pump up. Its made to pump water not suck air. But you said you have a bulk tank and a vac pump already. Is the tank rated for vac? If so you dont need a releaser just plumb the vac pump into the airtight tank and install your mainline into it also. There are many sugarmakers who have setup just like that. Now if its not made for vac chances are you are going to crush it.