PDA

View Full Version : question about regular metal sap buckets

michiganfarmer2
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Is there a reason that they are so deep and skinny and tapered instead of shaped more like plastic 5 galon buckets?

Russell Lampron
01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
There used to be a law, in Canada I think, that a tree was too small to tap if you could see the bucket on either side looking from the back of the tree. To tap smaller trees buckets were made taller and skinnier.

michiganfarmer2
01-19-2011, 07:05 AM
very interesting. thank you

Big_Eddy
01-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Interesting response - but I think the true reason is that it is the optimum shape for a sap bucket.

The taper allows the buckets to be easily stacked and reduces the problems of one bucket freezing inside the other.
The taper reduces the angle between the sides and the bottom allowing for easier cleaning.
The taper allows for the easy removal of a block of ice in the bucket.
The taller the bucket, the lower the center of gravity is below the hanging hole. This allows the narrow bucket to sit tight to the tree and be less prone to being blown off the tree in wind, especially when it is empty or has a small amount of sap in it.
The smaller diameter reduces the size of the lid required and also results in a tighter stream while pouring into a collection tank.

Add to the above the fact that for years the majority of sap buckets were made from deep drawn aluminium, and the properties of Aluminium make it a lot simpler to draw it with a nice taper.

Funny though - When the kids that come to visit ask me how I choose which trees to tap, I tell them that they need to be bigger than the bucket is across.

Having used a number of different buckets and jugs, I can attest to the fact that if you are planning to hang them on the trees, sap buckets are WAY BETTER than plastic buckets, gallon juices jugs and anything else retasked for sap collection.

michiganfarmer2
01-19-2011, 08:10 AM
intersting observations. thanks for the input