PDA

View Full Version : Damper Needed?

SeanD
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
I used natural draft on a 2x6 block arch with an 8" stack last year with good results. At times, though the pipe was glowing and I had a torch coming out of the top of the 18' stack! The back pan ripped, but at the price of a lot of heat going right up the pipe.

This year I have a "real" evaporator (WF Mason) with an ash door where I can control the draft - same 8" stack and height. Will that do the job or should I also install a damper in the pipe as well? Is there a difference where the draft gets slowed down?

Sean

Bucket Head
01-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Sean,

The "torch" is caused by not enough air getting into the firebox. Not enough oxygen. More oxygen is found exiting the stack and then you get more flame there, where you least need it. I'm not saying you don't need a damper- I experimented with one too, but you need to get more draft air into it. Bigger draft door? I little forced air for a draft? That will help out quite a bit.

Steve

Ausable
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey - SeanD - I think the ash door will give You plenty of control if you need it. As You know - several of the guys use forced air to increase their combustion air even more. So - In my mind - You are ok as is --- Mike

3rdgen.maple
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
3 generations of boiling here and never have any of us used a damper in the pipe.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-17-2011, 04:59 AM
bolt the ash door closed and put forced air into it. The only time i ever have flames come out my stack is when I shut down fans to fire, but after listening to Mr. Goodrich this last weekend fans on doors open. I'm gonna go down to Fire House see if they have any used turn out gear I can get from them:cool::D

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-17-2011, 05:03 AM
I have long since removed the ash door from my 4x12. Don't use any sort of damper. I agree that a "torch" on your chimney is unburned gases finally getting enough oxygen to ignite.

SeanD
01-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Forced air is out for the time being, so I'll see what I can do with the draft with just the ash door.

Thanks,
Sean