PDA

View Full Version : Measuring depth of sap in pan

steve J
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
I have a 2x4 with a blower and it uses a flat pan that is divided by 2 partitions. It has draw off boxes on both ends so that pan can be rotated. In pass on my old 2x3 I had a thin piece of wood with notches carved into it that I ued to monitor the sap depth to keep it around 3/4 of an inch. What would be a better way of my doing this on the new rig?

maple flats
01-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I just stick my skimmer scoop in to touch the bottom. Pull it out, you can easily see the level on the scoop. Works good as a dip stick.

Ausable
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey Steve - Like Dave says - You can use about anything for the dip stick effect. I use a section of tape from a broken tepe measure and that works for me -- Have used a wooden spoon handle with notches --- Mike

BryanEx
01-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I used to have markings engraved on the inside of my pan but I found many times I couldn't see them through the steam. I've since gone the way of maple flats and use a stainless ladle I bought at the dollar store. If I can touch the bottom of the pan without the ladle filling I'm under an inch of depth, just barely filling is about perfect, and if I feel like I just threw it into the deep end of a pool I'm too deep. I did get a few looks while I was measuring the different ladle heights in the store but so what. :lol:

BoarsNest
01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. Last year we used a food grade stick with 1 inch marks made with a food grade marker.:lol:

Ausable
01-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Bryan - I like your ladle idea - Never thought of that one and I already have several different sizes. So You find the height you need and no matter how thick the steam you know - sap in the ladle ok or to deep - no sap - to low. - thanks -- Mike

BryanEx
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
You got it Ausable. The system has worked great for me and it's easily transferable to "helpers" which is very important for my business not to mention it's always handy having an extra ladle kicking around near the evaporator.

Patent pending... :D

markct
01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
i find it easiest to just look in the float box, or the sight glass, why not add a sight glass to your rig then you can tell at a glance the level

Haynes Forest Products
01-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Be a man and stick your finger in there. You will have a permenant mark to go by:o Once we set our floats we never check it. By the time we pull a SS scoop out of the steam its clean as can be. I draw off and if I get bubbles I know my syrup is to low. I feel if the rig is running smooth and your drawing off and the finish pan bubbles/foam are nice and uniform all is well. You might have to run deep and gradualy work your float valve until its boiling nice and even and keep it that way.

steve J
01-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes but not all of us have float boxes!

mike z
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
But we do have those fingers he talked about:lol:

ADKMAPLE
01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I would think that a paint mixer you get at the hardware store for free would work..make a mark on it of your desired depth. The nice thing about the wood is that you will see where the stick is wet etc. then just dry it off quick with a clean cloth each time..:rolleyes:

markct
01-17-2011, 07:22 PM
sorry steve i confused drawoff box with float box! i would think about adding a sight glass then so you could tell at a glance the level

The Birdman
01-17-2011, 07:48 PM
get a large s/s hex nut lay in your pan.

TapME
01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
birdman, i use a 1'' cut off of round solid alumimum stock and it works great.

steve J
01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
ok 2 questions a sight glass can it be used in the extra draw off box? And as far as a SS hex nut goes with it sitting on the bottom of the pan is there not a chance you might burn the pan in that area?

TapME
01-18-2011, 07:15 AM
never had that problem here.

Haynes Forest Products
01-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Steve it can be used in any tank that has liquid in it. I Only have threaded ports on the side of my Flue pan so that is where I put them. The ones that came on the pans are centerd on the side front to back for a overall reading.