PDA

View Full Version : ATV Reccommendations

ascutneymaple
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm looking for an ATV to put a trailer and sap tank behind to access a new crop of maples, any recommendations on a good vehicle for this work?

Dan W
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I use a Yamaha Kodiak (4 wd 400cc) to pull a trailer with 2 55 gallon drums on it. It does pretty well as long as I can get the tires to the ground. If the is much snow, I just get smaller loads and make more trips.

PARKER MAPLE
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
POLARIS RANGER 700 XP. Altough they dont make them like mine anymore, they are now offering power steering wich is a very empressive addition. Plus you can add a plow like mine and plow out your roads, driveway. ect. It will hold 1000lbs in the bed and tow like 2500.. very please with this rig.
Did have tracks for it but money got tight a year or two ago so sold them, wish I didnt now, but still goes throught the 16in of snow we got last storm, just have to keep the trails broken with it every storm.

my two cents

MAple rookie

Ausable
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm looking for an ATV to put a trailer and sap tank behind to access a new crop of maples, any recommendations on a good vehicle for this work?

My ATV is an old 1996 Suzuki 4x4 King Quad - Have a 2" ball on the back to haul my small trailer and a warn winch to help get me out of trouble. We burn wood to heat with and in the sugar shack - etc. and I could not get by without it. This is my little tractor for hauling wood, sand, dirt, sap and even leaves. Also use it to move my 4' x 10' utility trailer and boat and boat trailer around. I realize they have there limits - but - when my old ATV finally goes - I'll have to quickly replace it ---- Mike

Monster Maples
01-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I have had atv's for 20 years. I have owned every brand of them as well. I have to say that Honda atv's are the best I have found, that will put up with a ton of abuse and keep ticking. These things are bullet proof with proper maintenance. We use them for everything. They are a little pricey, even used. But that is a reflection of the quality. Not to put down any of the other brands, and I don't abuse them just to abuse them. It just seems I always like to find out what the limits are. My parents like Polaris'. They have come a long way the last several years. As mentioned earlier, the power steering is a nice addition. I was at the dealer with my parents and they put me on an 850 with power steering and I was quite impressed. You can steer with your pinky finger. And they have power!!!! Seemed like all top end though. But, I will stick with the honda for the lower end, and torque. Snowmobiles? Now, everyone knows Yamaha is the best!!!!! Hahaha.

Monster Maples
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I should have added though that I have put my name on my parents 6x6 ranger as part of my inheritance. Those things are tanks. And it has an 8,000lb winch on the front.

ADKMAPLE
01-16-2011, 04:28 PM
alot depends on terrain. I woould opt for a UTV, like a Kawasaki Mule. they will pull anything. The nice thing about either a ATV or UTV, you can put tracks on them for the winter conidtions.

shane hickey
01-16-2011, 04:42 PM
It might not be the best but I have an 2007 artic cat 800 cc four wheeler, I rather have four wheeler then one of the bigs side by side deals, just because I can get in father tight places and it dont take a mile to turn around. I know Artic Cats has a factury 2'' reciever that I can put different attatchments on to Like tube or caring pumps. Most machine that are fairly new are all real good machines, just depends on the buyer, If I was going to but an older one I would defently go with a Honda.

Dennis H.
01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
I picked up a Kabota RTV500 this past fall when they were offering 0% down 0% financing for 60 months.

I always wanted something like this and the timing was right.
I love the little dump bed on the back.
Put that thing into low range and 4 wheel drive and it seems like it will go anywhere.

And I like the idea not having to kick a leg up and over the seat to ride it.

ADKMAPLE
01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
that is the nice thing about a Kawaskai Mule 610. basically a 4 wheeler, but with a dump box and seating for 3 adults (cramped) or an adult and 2 childern easily. Not much different of a turning raidus than a full size atv. actually fit in the back of a full size pickup. that is what I would look into hands down

Rhino
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I have to second Monster Maples reply, Honda atvs are unreal. We have three 4 wheel drive models. A 400...a 450...and a 500 Rubicon. All 3 are indestructable work horses, but the Rubicon is by far the strongest, Not from the bigger motor but from the deep water wheel kit i had put on. Hard to get it stuck even pulling a 100 gallon tank behind it. I know i could go bigger and it still would handle it.

syrupkid
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Honda all the way if you want a good dependable four-wheeler, as for UTV's though John Deere has command there. A Gator will go pretty much anywhere and then pull your Polaris or Kawasaki back out. And since somebody mentioned snowmobiles I will have to go Arctic Cat all the way on that one. I have a 1992 WildCat 700 with about 14,000 miles on it, I dont know for sure but the odometer quit the first ride of last year at 12,500, and I haven't done much of anything to that machine.

Monster Maples
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=syrupkid since somebody mentioned snowmobiles I will have to go Arctic Cat all the way on that one. I have a 1992 WildCat 700 with about 14,000 miles on it, I dont know for sure but the odometer quit the first ride of last year at 12,500, and I haven't done much of anything to that machine.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I didn't know they ever made a REAL snowmobile!!! Hahaha, just joking. That is pretty impressive though, those kind of miles on a sled. I will keep my SRX700 though. With the Bender can, heel clicker clutch kit, and 244 studs that thing will stand straight up and down. The ride just plain sucks though. Pro action suspension = no action. Makes my back hurt.

Farmboy
01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Another vote for hondas. I've seen more hondas race or work quads that have been used and abused and still won't quit. Also the yamaha grizzly 700 with efi and power steering is a good quad too. I've put a few miles on my uncles. I have an older kawasaki 400 4X4 which gets the job don't but I want a bigger quad. If you want it for work stay away from can am/ brp their work quads are more sport quads then work quads. And most of the people I no have had nothing but problems with polaris.

mogihillfarm
01-17-2011, 12:57 AM
I had a 1996 Polaris Sportsman for fourteen years. It was a good work horse. I sold it a couple of years ago and bought a John Deere XUV. It has no problem in the deep snow. I can't live without the dump box. It has not given me any mechanical problems. Like anything else, preventive maintenance goes a long way.

farmall h
01-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Polaris, polaris, polaris, polaris ....anything polaris. They are way ahead of the times. Next choice would be Can Am. But I did say Polaris.:cool:

lastwoodsman
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Arctic Cat---
I have had 2 of them a 250 2x4 never a problem in 5 years. And now a 500 LX with a county snow plow and winch. I can move snow at triple the rate I could with my "Ford 8N and blade. And I have been pushing a lot of snow this winter!
It is 4 years old and will start at-15 and -20 with no problems and this is a carb machine with a primer button on the carb.
It will pull 10 foot 15 inch logs with no problem. Although I prefer the Ford as I can lift the butts of the ground and keep the log clean for sawing.
You can't go wrong with Cat either.
Polaris and Cats are both good Minnesota companies.
I don't think there is a bad ATV on the market today.
Woodsman

ascutneymaple
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
All good to know thanks for the feedback, now how big an engine should I be looking for to pull about 100 gallons of sap through the woods? I'm looking at a 300, 350, and a 450, all Hondas.

maple maniac65
01-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Can't go wrong with Ford trucks, Honda ATV's and Leader Evaporator

wcproctor
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I just got a John Deer Gator and I love it but my choice UTV is the Ranger.(go the gator cheep)

Monster Maples
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
All good to know thanks for the feedback, now how big an engine should I be looking for to pull about 100 gallons of sap through the woods? I'm looking at a 300, 350, and a 450, all Hondas.

I think you would be the happiest with the 450. They are pretty rugged. The 300's were good machines, but really not built strong enough in my opinion. They weren't really intended for much work. I had an older one tore apart last winter, changing timing chain, replacing rear end on my bosses. This was mostly from a whole lot of hours, and using it for pulling too much weight. 450's are bullet proof. Just keep the seat above water!! :rolleyes: That was expensive.

Monster Maples
01-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Polaris and Cats are both good Minnesota companies.
Woodsman

Arctic Cat started when 3 engineers from Polaris quit. The three then started a new company and called it Arctic Cat.

lastwoodsman
01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Yep, very true kinda like Lee Iocaca developing Mustang for Ford and K car for Chrysler.
All good products.
After having a 500, for utility and plenty of power you could not go wrong.
Woodsman

cvmaple
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
The 450 would be the best choice for a work machine. I love Honda for the reliability of its engines. But also like Mogihill and Farmall H I have had great luck with Polaris (1995 Polaris Magnum) -- only replaced a chain and a coolant hose so far. Four wheelers in general makes work seem more fun so they are worth their weight in gold. A ride to check buckets is good after stoking the evaporator all day!!!

18x48 D&G
13x15 sap shanty new in '10
50 buckets in '10
80 buckets in '11
live to make steam!!!

xyz5150
01-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Anything 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't own a pickup, tractor, or a quad unless it was 4 wheel drive.

S Culver
01-18-2011, 05:34 AM
I have had an Artic cat 400 for about 10 yrs and every one that has ridden it says it will go anywhere compared to theirs. I never gave the comments much thought until I got a second one a Polaris 500 sportsman from a friend. We use them around the farm and they always have a cart behind them. I and my kids are very convinced that the smaller Artic Cat is the better machine.

Artic cat is a full time wheel drive and is glued to the ground compared to the automatic Polaris which does not give the controlled geared desent on a down grade. With a cart behind it the polaris traction system slips on wet leaves and cannot get through the woods nearly as well.

If you have the ability to try an artic cat before you buy I would. That being said make sure you have some local support on repair on whatever you buy. Having to lug a machine 50 miles to someplace is a real bummer and you will never break it when you don't need it. This happened a few years ago with a forest fire behind me on the mountain. The only way to get close to it was ATV's

S Culver
01-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Ascutney

I used to have some friends in your area that I used to visit . Bill and Janet Fellows. Did you know them they passed away a few years ago? For years as I visited them they talked about sugaring but I never go into it until last year and they had already passed and I don't have anymore ties to the area.

lastwoodsman
01-18-2011, 07:28 AM
If you are pulling through any amount of snow the Arctic Cat has much higher ground clearance than most. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the jap machines either their engines are bullet proof.
In fact my cat has a Suzuki engine in it.
One thing I would like is some brands have the head light in the steering handle bars. This would be great as everytime I lift my plow at night it blocks my head lights. I had to attach a spot light to compensate.
4 wheel drive is a must and at least 400 for pulling in soft spring ground.
Woodsman

maplecrest
01-18-2011, 09:05 AM
can-am with track kit is the way to go and go any where. but does not like steep ledge uphill slope. with wheels to change to in mud season. i think well worth the money it makes me in time saved getting thru the sugar woods.

farmall h
01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Unless your ATV has a granny gear you should consider something in the 500 class.

ringer
01-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Thinking of getting a 4x4 side by side utv but will need one to plow with , how good are these when it comes to plowing

talahi maple products
01-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I agree Honda takes the prize when it comes to reliability & low end torque.
I have a 2004 Honda Rubicon w/ tracks, and it will go anywhere and carry/pull
Quite a load. Might be a good choice for one of the guys on the larger end of the maple producer spectrum also because of the built in GPS system.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Side by sides are good for about anything and work really good for plowing from what others have told me. The best machine for money is probably a Kubota RTV with a 21 hp diesel engine and a large heavy full length box frame. The RTV 900 hauls 1100 lbs and tows 1700 last time I checked and the RTV 1100 probably will do more than that. Doubt you would ever wear out engine and trannys are really good too. Built like a tractor, not an atv as far as quality.

wdchuck
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I've used a run of the mill Yamaha Kodiak 400- no major complaints as long as I keep the tire chains on. Around here, by March 1st the snow can be pretty deep- 3 to 4 ft isnt unheard of, so I either have to periodically pack out my roads to continue using the atv, or just give up and use the snowmobile 100% of the time. What I'd really like is a set of tracks for the 4 wheeler- one machine for the whole year.

farmall h
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Wdchuck have you priced those tracks! Yikes!:o

wdchuck
01-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Oh yeah, I've been shopping! Best I can come up with is $3000 shipped right to my door. So I'll save a while, maybe prices will come down a bit, and use the 4wheeler with chains and the Elan when it gets deep.......and in the meantime I can dream......

nymapleguy607
01-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I just bought a new Kawasaki Prairre 360 this fall and really like it. So far it has gone everywhere I have wanted to go with it. I liked it because it has a solid rear axle instead of independent reat suspension, also the rear brakes are a completly closed wet disk system, which is a big plus after dealing with my brakes freezing up on our old four wheeler. Another thing I liked is that it has a locking front diffrential. I have only used it a couple of times but it sure is nice to have just in case. As far as price I paid about 6500 for mine. From a power stand point I bought the 360cc knowing I don't need a high displacment machine as we have 3 large farm tractors if I get to doing anything really huge. What it really comes down to is knowing what your needs are and then finding the best package to meet them.

3rdgen.maple
01-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Sounds like some of you guys use the wheelers as tractors, so why not just go get a tractor instead? You can do alot more with one and get some great deals on used. I used the wheeler a couple years back for sap hauling and woods work probably just because it was new and cool but then I smartened up and got back on the tractor. Its a 2000 4x4 suzuki 500 Quadrunner It is a nice machine but just sits in the garage. Think its been 2 years since I even started it at this point. They just cant do what a tractor can.

Farmboy
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
My quad goes through places with ease that would be real hard to get through on my farm tractor. And I like the atv for in the woods because it's small and can fit places the tractor can't. When I need to get from point A to point B on the farm or in the woods I can go 50mph instead of 5mph. And you would have a hard time finding anything bigger than a lawn tractor for $1500. Also when your not working you can have a lot of fun on a quad.

lastwoodsman
01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
I love the ATV for putting out taps and bags. Quick and fast.

The tractor with chains and a carry all on the 3 point hitch with a 50 gallon barrel attached in deep snow will go where my quad would disappear.

Although I used the Atv with the snowplow to run through the trails this winter to keep them open enough to get around with either.

Pulling a trailer in the snow is not something I want to do.
Woodsman

lew
01-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I run a 1993 POlaris Big Boss 6x6 400. $ wheel drive posi-traction in the rear and push button to lock in the front axle. Like anything, it goes anywhere until it bottoms out. Has a dump box that can handle 800 pounds. The most important feature of this machine that I like compared to other UTV's is that you still sit on it like a regular 4 wheeler. It is built for one rider only, that is you sit in the middle of the machine. I like this for tarversing slopes in the woods. I don't think I would like sitting in a sisde by side machine going across a slope. Also, no ROPS. They would get in the way trying to go off trail through the woods. I know they are a great safety feature, but if I can't get to where I want to go with the supplies in the back of my 6-wheeler, why bother having one. The new 6x6 Polaris comes in an 800 engine, way too much in my opinion. My 400 does more than I can ask it. The new one also has shaft drive, much better than my old one with chain drive. All in all this machine has been great to me. Only had to replace and adjust chains once and rebuild the engine once in 17 years. Not bad for the abuse it takes.

lastwoodsman
01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Lew--
I agree with you on the power comments. When I got my 500 I wondered and still do why would you want anything bigger? Then you may as well go to a tractor for the price and the real work it can do.
The best accesory I had put on it is the heated handgrips. I can plow snow in any temp. with light gloves and my hands are toastie warm.
I am not a trail rider most of what I do that works it a little is plowing snow. Other than that my next machine will be smaller 350 or 400.

Woodsman

farmall h
01-22-2011, 08:02 AM
WDCHUCK the only reason I use the Polaris 500HO is as a "tapping" tool. It gets me from point A-B. Our bush is 18 acres and it is uphill to get there (back yard) so I would rather ride than walk. Set of chains on the rear and "full throttle" gets me there in a hurry. Of course when I was in my twenties I could run up there and tap those trees.....now that I am 46 and work at Weidmann and have not milked a cow in many years I'm a little "out of shape) maybe?:lol:

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Wife bought this for chores around the farm, just picked it up yesterday.. she just ordered 1 new seat and 1 headlight for it tonight.

other than that it runs real good for an 18hp kaw motor.. ele dump bed will come in handy cleaning chicken coops, of course i like our jd 750 better. 6x4 gator doesn't steer to good in 12"+ of snow but pushes forward ,just gotta go slow in the snow in order to steer it.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs246.snc6/179490_185212771500035_100000339416896_510918_6820 353_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs076.snc6/168676_185213638166615_100000339416896_510921_3489 27_n.jpg

Farmboy
01-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Just to let you now I now several farmers who had those. They got rid of them and got the new version because they suck in mud. The way the two rear axles are designed once there stuck there impossible to get out without another tractor.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the advice on deep mud

however Good thing we don't get much mud here, just surface mud nothing deep or long lasting, only the one corner of our property gets real muddy, but nothing this thing will get stuck in, figured out why it wouldn't steer in the snow right. Once I unlocked the deferential it was much better, i had Yamaha worrier only two wheel drive it never went well in snow. Heck i even had our 4x4 dodge ram (with general grabbers II) stuck in this snow the other day(only about 12"), of course i had 6x12 trailer hooked on.

Wife really only got this because she likes it, she is a DEERE fan, her grand father had one for years and used it hard. One thing i like is the weight carrying capacity(800 lbs). . will come in handy hauling stuff around here that is for sure. one thing it didn't break the bank buying it. heck the darn thing even has nipples on the tires yet. lol :lol:

somebody else's gator hauling fire wood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lwyy25-3A&feature=related

something we don't plan on doing with a gator anytime soon. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkF3so_GAc&NR=1&feature=fvwp

maple marc
01-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Slate,

We have a Gator just like yours--bought it in '97. Overall it's been great. But it does not do well in snow. DO NOT take a chance way back in the woods! Yes, it is best hauling material on dry ground.

Some advice on Kaw engine: ours finally died this year. We replaced it with an air-cooled Honda engine. I would not recommend this option--lots of problems....probably not an appropriate use of this engine.

I borrow a Polaris 4x6 during sugar season. Put a 55 gal drum in back. Goes almost anywhere. Latest weapon I borrow is Honda ATV with tracks--awesome! It will go absolutely anywhere. Will tow a sled with tank if necessary.

Marc

ontario guy
01-31-2011, 06:53 AM
I would suggest a smaller machine for when you get stuck. Independent suspension gives you a better ride and more clearance underneath. And a must is the 4 wheel locking differential. Your machine goes from a 3 wheel drive to a 4 wheel drive, you will need this in snow and mud at low speeds (hauling sap). I have a Yamaha kodiak 350 with the above features, i think Suzuki has one too. Don't underestimate the traction of 4 wheel differential lock.

Mark

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
It will only be used in and around the farm, never out of reach of the jd 750 which goes through anything put at it hear.

if the motor would ever go on the gator id have my buddy rebuild it. got the JD 750 w/loader for 2000 bucks but had a bad motor, my buddy rebuilt if for me a few years ago, still runs like a charm, not the prettiest in town but very functional..

Randy Fay
02-01-2011, 08:19 AM
We have 3 gators that we use for collecting sap and hauling wood. Just put 4 aggressive tread tires on the back (like all the 4 wheelers and newer 4wd gators and rangers,factory tires dont clean out and turn into mud balls) and you can haul sap and drag your buddies 4 wheeler around with you! If you need more traction put a set of chains on the back two tires and go. Granted they dont steer the best in alot of snow with differential locked in, sometimes its more fun to go off the beaten path! Every place we go around here is uphill and slippery,whether its snow or mud, havent been stuck yet. Have fun 4x6 gators are great ! bikebandit.com is a good source for your tires .

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-01-2011, 06:24 PM
you know i wonder if the gators would steer better in the snow with skinnyer tires on the front, they are so light weight up front and the big wide tires on the front seem like they try to ride on top of the snow rather than cut into it., the back tires on the one we have got some monster off road tread on them and do bite and it really slings the snow.

Updated gator, new seat and left side headlight assembly installed plus a auxiliary light bar and bed bars i built for it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/hinkjc/John%20Deere/1297289405.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/hinkjc/John%20Deere/1297289441.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/hinkjc/John%20Deere/gator003.jpg

heus
02-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I just bought a 2003 650 Kawasaki Prairie last week. I will continue to use my Ford tractor and carry-all with 65 gal tank. However, I do not like how my tractor tears up the woods. My dad helps gather with a little Honda 250 Recon with a 35 gal tank on the back. It is way too heavy for the machine, but the little honda does the job. I think I am going to try to put a 35 gal on the back of my Prairie and a 16 gal sprayer tank from Northern Tool on the front. i Know this means more trips, but my dad can gather with his 35 gal tank faster than I can with my tractor and 65 gal tank. The four wheelers are just so much more nimble in the woods. Once the ground thaws, the tractor just makes a mess of the trails.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Gator does work well, once we broke trails in 12" of snow with the tractor the gator does work fine in it, last week most of the snow was gone until the other day we got another 6.5" to 7". Gator broke tracks no problem in it. When steering one must go easy the first round. But once the tracks are laid down you can go as fast as it will go with no problems. Recommend this machine for our climate here in central eastern pa to anyone looking at one

Brent
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Well in 2 months I get my first Canada Pension check. I just blew 1/2 of it for the next 42 months on a shiny new Kubota RTV1100. She who collects the sap will at least be warm and have a dry a$$. Now if we only had an evaporator that was ready to go.

leaky bucket
02-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I will never give up my yamaha Rhino with tracks freakin awesome go anywhere any weather!!!!!!!!!!! gather on