PDA

View Full Version : Five trees and two kids

JinCT
01-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Hello All,

My name is John and I live between Willi and UCONN, not too far from the large dairy. This is the first time I have thought of making syrup. I am using my kids as a cover.;)

I found five maples while raking leaves this past fall. I bought two buffet steam pans sets from craigslist. Went to Home Depot for 3/8 PEX to make the spiles. I have saved some gallon milk jugs to collect the sap. I plan to use concrete blocks to set the pans on to boil the sap down. I need to get some wood now!

I am keeping tuned to everyone to see when to tap. Any pointers? Thanks all!

John

batsofbedlam
01-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Just keep reading this forum and you will know when others in this area tap.

Ausable
01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Hello All,

My name is John and I live between Willi and UCONN, not too far from the large dairy. This is the first time I have thought of making syrup. I am using my kids as a cover.;)

I found five maples while raking leaves this past fall. I bought two buffet steam pans sets from craigslist. Went to Home Depot for 3/8 PEX to make the spiles. I have saved some gallon milk jugs to collect the sap. I plan to use concrete blocks to set the pans on to boil the sap down. I need to get some wood now!

I am keeping tuned to everyone to see when to tap. Any pointers? Thanks all!

John

Hi John -- Nope - No pointers - sounds like You have it all figured out....LOL.. Sounds like you are off to a good start - especially by including your kids. John browse thru the site - several of the guys use block arches. I boiled outside for a few years and used a small block arch - You will probably boil it down close to syrup this way - but - have to finish in the house. Also - If you are boiling outside - a couple of 4' x 8' sheets of chip board or something else will come in handy for wind blocks and a frame of some sort with a tarp over it would help keep snow and rain off you and the kids and out of the boiling sap. -- Lots of luck and make great syrup - that will help to win over the Mrs. when you are using her stove to finish up the maple syrup --- Mike

40to1
01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Ha! I used my kids as cover too!
Alas, their enthusiasm for a five week season (which is an eternity to them) faded fast. But they grew to appreciate the adventure when months later were still enjoying real maple syrup.

I think the only thing you may be missing is sap storage. Collecting it all is fun, but where to put it until you can boil? And where are you going to put tomorrow's sap?

Don't use a new trash barrel. Get a food-grade plastic barrel (30-50 gallons). Used ones (to ship apple concentrate, etc) are fine. Look online. They're cheap, but it's the shipping that hurts.... (Thank God they're empty!)

Good luck and have fun!

markct
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
hey john if you want some taps i have dozens, maybe hundreds, of 5/16 tubing taps that still have some tubing on them from areas i redid and changed around in my woods, if you want to journey up this way towards the litchfield area sometime i will gladly give you some

mogihillfarm
01-15-2011, 11:55 PM
cornell university maple homepage has an hour long webinar for the beginner. you should find all the information you need. good luck.

BryanEx
01-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Here the direct link to the webinar;

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/web/schedule.htm

Mike Van
01-19-2011, 05:24 AM
John, just my 2 cents but I'd take Marks offer on some real taps if you can. I hate waste, and poor fitting homemade taps will leak all season.

ctjim
01-19-2011, 07:01 AM
john, i have some extra real taps w/ a short piece of tubing on them from when i used milk jugs. if you want them let me know, i live about 15 min south of you in lebanon.

PapaSmiff
01-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I tapped my first three maples three years ago, to show my 8-year old grandson how it was done. It was fun. He learned alot, and looks forward to Maple season now. Last season, I found two more trees for a total of 5.

Now I'm hooked. I hope to talk to some neighbors about tapping their trees. But when the flow is good, it's hard to keep up on my single turkey fryer setup. Thinking of getting a second one this year.

I use homemade taps also. I turn them on my lathe from maple or oak. I hook them up to tubing into 5 gallon buckets.

I suggest getting two additional items. Get some Cone Filters and a Hydrometer. It made a big difference in the quality of my syrup. There's info on MapleTrader.com about making a stand for the cone filter.

Good Luck!

JinCT
01-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks you all for the feedback-

40to1> To store the sap I am just going to collect extra milk jugs. This year is a experiment.

Markct> Thank you for the offer. I used to get up to the NW corner a lot. Sold the motorcycle:( Not so much anymore.

CTJim> Thanks for the offer of spiles. I going see if I can use the PEX. I will run it through the dishwasher.

PapaSmiff> I need to check into the filter and hydrometer. I intended on using my digital cooking/baking/bbq thermostat to check the syrup temperature.

Update: Stopped by the hardware store and bought the rest of the arch, $13.50 of concrete block.

The drill's battery is on the charger. That reminds me, I need to see what drill bits are in the basement.

Till tomorrow- John

ebourassa
01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
walmart has the candy thermometer on sale for 5 bucks right now, i picked up two, cause i always seem to break one.. Good luck, and be careful alot of us started with 5 taps and now have several hundred. have fun

spencers
02-01-2011, 07:41 AM
my husband and I are going to give this a try this year. I got him some taps and a copy of the Backyard Sugarin' for Chirstmas. In the fall we walked round our yard and measured the trees to count up taps and our neighbors yard. I think we are going to try 20 taps. Have a friend who does this amount with her family and getting tips from her. Been saving the milk jugs - now just have to wait for the weather and figure out how to get to the trees with all the snow!