PDA

View Full Version : Tapping 2011

PFHII
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Who's ready? Who's going to be digging out? Who's cutting up blow downs?
We are not ready..LOL We ARE digging out and we ARE pull every hitch we can right now. not sure if we will get everything tapped this year or not. We lost over 150+ tree's in the wind storm so were looking for new stuff.:cool: Good luck to you all

Chad802
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not ready either. The wind storm really slowed things up.should be ready when it's time!! I've been helping a couple other sugar makers get ready that where alot worse than mine,one lost around 2000 taps.but they still have good spirits.

shawn fitzgerald
01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
almost ready. still trying to get the wife to loosen up the purse strings for some new equipment.

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Shawn, my life exactly.........

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm close. Just cleaning up main lines and lats. Have to replace a bunch of spouts that got left in because some one used my lines while I was out of town for couple years and didn't bother taking them out or clean anything.

powerdub
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
i'm cutting also, never seen wind like we have had in the past couple of weeks

davey
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
got the blow downs cleaned up, the old lines repaired, currently stringing some new lines, rebuilding the vacuum pump engine, fixing the trailer, straightening up the sugarhouse, .... should easily ready by the end of June.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-17-2011, 04:27 AM
pretty close in woods, dumped water in syrup pan check for leaks and I have one. Need to call up welder have him fix it.

PARKER MAPLE
01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Im also almost done in my woods. I would say apprx 85% now. I have this week off so heres my to-do list. finish up the woods and put on new drops. set the tanks, 6 of them. want to put up the stack, finish fire bricking, add vermiculite. build a float box( dont have any ideas on this yet) and do a test boil on the new 3x8. PLUS had a guy get ahold of me this am said if I was interested in tapping his 30 acres he would walk it with me. MAN I dont think the week is going to be long enough might have to take next week off also..HA HA HA:lol:

Maple rookie

Thad Blaisdell
01-17-2011, 06:57 AM
maple rookie, was that your ad on craigslist....looking for maples?

PARKER MAPLE
01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
YUP it sure was, I got one lot today I just drove by to look at, going to meet the guy there sometime thursday and snowshoe it to see what there is for trees. He says theres 36 acres and had all the softwoods cleared out this summer. I did see a few maple from the road hopefully more in the woods. wish me luck

Maple Rookie

PARKER MAPLE
01-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Hey Thad, how did you make out with your other piece of woods you were going to look at?

PARKER MAPLE
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
I got lots done today in the sugarhouse before I had to plow. got the stack up and guide wires supporting it incase of high winds. also finish up the blower and plumbing it in just have to get the grates up to the sugarhouse and put them in place. working on the float box now and will finish up the vermiculite tomorrow. would like to be doing a test boil on friday if at all poss.
I have to work my real job tomorrow for about 2hrs then going ot check out another piece of woods to tap, maybe i can get a few there this year and really take advantage of it for next year. Plowed and snowblowed the rest of the day got probably around 12" or so altogether today and its still coming down. gess I will have to ask the neighbor to plow out my woods roads with his dozer, he like these type of jobs any way I dont think it will be a problem

Maple Rookie

hogisland42
01-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Who is going to pull the pin first?

PARKER MAPLE
01-29-2011, 12:22 PM
im thinking not next weekend but just maybe the weekend after next, Im really getting itchy now. Im looking for a good used pick tank around 200 for gathering and that the last of my needs. Anybody else thinking 2weeks to tap???

Maple rookie

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2011, 09:51 PM
im thinking not next weekend but just maybe the weekend after next, Im really getting itchy now. Im looking for a good used pick tank around 200 for gathering and that the last of my needs. Anybody else thinking 2weeks to tap???

Maple rookie

10 day forecast looks pretty cold still