PDA

View Full Version : just startin out

lakeview maple
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hello to all, your post have helped me with a bunch of questions and I just wanted to say thanks,I am starting out with a 2x6 leader with about 125 taps ,got alot of good intentions so heres hoping! Thanks again Al

stoweski
01-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi Al. Welcome! My second year with the bug. I started on a Leader half pint then quickly upgraded to a Leader 2x6. I'll expand from 80 taps to 125 as well.

Where in the Adks are you? I'm originally from Lake Luzerne but moved down to the Albany area due to work. Still living in the woods though.

Keith

Sugarmaker
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Al,
Welcome, the 125 taps is a great start!
Hope your season is good!
Chris

Ausable
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Hello to all, your post have helped me with a bunch of questions and I just wanted to say thanks,I am starting out with a 2x6 leader with about 125 taps ,got alot of good intentions so heres hoping! Thanks again Al

Al -- With a 2' x 6' and 125 Taps --- You are flying already. Wish You the very best -- Hope Your Sap is sweet and plentiful and Your Maple Syrup Awesome --- Mike

adk1
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeah that is a great start! Cant wait to hear how you make out with the season coming up, especially since your in the same location that I am. Where did you buy the evap and what kind of collection system are you gonna run?

lakeview maple
01-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I got my evaporator from craigslist out in buffalo ,long ways away but it was a good price ,and here were my sugar bush is its all side hill with an eastern slope ,you need to be part billy goat,so were doing mostly mainlines and only a handful of buckets .good luck to all and God Bless Al

adk1
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Al, whre are you located>?

lakeview maple
01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Im Located in the town of Dresden which is just north of whitehall,

peckfarm
01-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Are you able to run some laterals across the state line? I hear the sap is sweeter in Vermont...I kid. Good luck, have fun. You will be running 10k taps in no time.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Im Located in the town of Dresden which is just north of whitehall,

If you go on a tour I dont have much of a "sugar house" deffinately a back yard operation but very welcome to stop by check out the FLS operation.
New garage/sugar house coming this spring.

lakeview maple
02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey flatlander hows the sap running acroos the border?I got about 55 to 60 in in the last 3 days along with hauling main line wire and main line were only a herd of goats should live ,lol,I hope things are well and if your ever up in my neck of the woods please stop in ,take care and God bless ,Al

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-18-2011, 05:20 AM
I haven't tapped yet, but at a farm in Hubberton yesterday one of the guys was hanging buckets and it was running for him. I'll probably wait one more week unless I see some really decent weather coming.

lakeview maple
04-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Well had a great first season.learned alot thanks Maple trader ,and a couple of really patient friends namely Mike and Mike. We finished with 14 gallons when we figured on 3 maybe,never did burn a pan but me and Old Goat "father inlaw" both ended with a couple burns ,nothing serious tho.Nearly ran outa wood ,make note for next year,need couple more bulk tanks,but other wise had a lot of fun I especially want to thank my wife Marci for all her patients ,and for holding down the fort while I boiled away,thanks my best friend.Well I hope all have a great summer and will try to stay in touch over the Blueberry season,God Bless ,Al

adk1
04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Al, interesting design with the steam hood. How did it work overall? I am still contemplating buildign a coupola or trying t ofigure out a hood system.

lakeview maple
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
The steam hood worked great ,I built the whole thing for around 60 bucks including all the metal and the stack and stack cover,only on the most humid days did the steam get bad other wise it worked great ,I am installing a attic fan in this summer just for the bad days but it worked great ,and I didnt want to be on the roof in Feb trying to build a cupola,lol Good luck and God Bless

lakeview maple
12-14-2011, 03:10 PM
494149424943Well we are getting close to the 2012 season.It seems you never get every thing done,I did get the addition done on the sugar house pics coming soon and we did add almost 200 taps on pipe line this year.I took out all the brick in the arch and and Im installing ceramic blanket, we added some free cupboards and a small base cabinet to use for canning ,thanks Mike L for the donation. Im just thankful for everything and am looking forward to another year of doing something I love to do.I want to say thanks to my awesome wife for all those days when Im in the woods all day.and for her not complaining with all my sugaring stuff all over the place.Good luck and God Bless to all,and have a Mery Christmas ,Al @ Lake View Maple

adk1
12-31-2011, 07:42 AM
I am with you there Al. I do not know if my wife realizes how much $$ I have spent this past year on maple stuff. I just keep telling her the first year will be expensive since I didnt have anything to start with! But I have always told her that this is something that have wanted to do since I was first introduced to "sugarin" at the age of 5 or 6. I have never forgotten those days. I just hope that I can get enough sap out of my smaller woods trees! That is the only thing that I am nervous about

red maples
12-31-2011, 04:35 PM
The first year is the worst for $$$ lots of stuff to buy and set up. It is lots of fun though but it does get easier from there. after you get through the first year jitters and panics and uh ohs then you learn and start to make time saving changes for the second and 3rd years. before you know it your a pro. (I am no pro yet) still learning everyday!!!!