PDA

View Full Version : Transfer pump search continues help

steve J
01-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I can't believe something as simple as a pump has become a major issue. I need a submiserble pump that will run on 110v can lift sap about 10 ft and since I am only filling a 27 gallon feed tank probably needs to pump 500 gph or less . I order one from Granger a little giant and the box clearly says not for potable water. Can any one give me a brand and model number that fits these rough specks?

xyz5150
01-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Take a look at the shurflo 2088 series, its what i use for a 2x4. you can get a 2.8, 3.3, 4.4 gpm. I have the 115v 4.4gpm wired to a light switch works great. its self priming, it can be run dry and it will easily lift 10 ft. 500 gph in a 27 gallon tank sounds like a mess waiting to happen. These pumps are designed for potable water.

Teuchtar
01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Steve
Many people here have recommended the Rule pump.
http://www.ittflowcontrol.com/
Its basically a boat bilge pump, works on several available DC voltages (12,or 24 etc)
They also have a 110v version intended as a submersible sump pump.
There's a nice 'automatic' feature that pulses the impeller to feel for liquid, and if present, will operate the pump til the tank drains. So you wouldn't need a float switch which is probably the most unreliable feature of most sump pumps.
The food grade issue is one we all wrestle with. While not certified or approved by FDA, I don't believe there's a concern has been expressed since the sap would not be soaking in the plastic, and there's no identified dangerous metals/chemicals neither.
eBay is full of suppliers of this pump in all configurations. ( search: Rule Pump 110 )

steve J
01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Problem with the rule pump for me is the size of the feed tank is 27 gallons and with it pumping 1800 phr the sp will be everwere but in that tank. I am trying to avoid the hassle of dc current. I just got off the phone with with my daughter in-law who runs the locaal grainger and a Techincal person that she got on the phone with us from down country some place. He is shipping up a pump to me that I will have to trottle down some using a check valve that he is also shipping and and hopefully this will work. I don't remember the brand but I will have that info in a day or so when it gets here.

tuckermtn
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
this may be a moot point, but the RULE pumps are rated for zero or very little head lift- i.e. a 1800 gph will not pump 1800 gph if you are lifting the sap say 8 or 10 ft. I think you can find the performance curve online somewhere.

Teuchtar
01-13-2011, 10:50 PM
All of these sump pumps (vertical axis pump with open inlet) have the same shutoff head at about 20 feet. Rule pumps are no different, They all quote a maximum flow capacity (GPH) which corresponds to zero head, with no pipes attached to the inlet and outlet. And the maximum head which corresponds to zero flow. The true pump pressure and pump flow is somewhere between (0,20) and (2500,0). The intention is that you figure out your pipe loss head versus flow, plot it on the pump curve, and find the operating point as the intersection of pump curve and pipe loss curve. Most bilges and basements need less than 8 feet head ( 3 psi ) plus the piping head loss.

Or, you can buy the pump, plug it in, and see if you like the flow. Then you can put a bigger hose on it, and get a bit more flow. But I don't think you will find a sump pump with big head. And they all need big hoses in order to keep the piping head loss low.

If you want real pressure, get a horizontal-axis pump and look for shutoff head of 85 psi.