PDA

View Full Version : My new "sugar shack"

HAHA I 1
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Its not really a shack, but an addition to my barn. I got tired of boiling out in the open and having to shut down when it rained or snowed hard. I have yet to put the metal siding on it, but thats a pretty quick thing to do. I am leaving the front side open so I can see the evaporator from my office window. The back will be permanently sided, and the side will have 2 removable framed metal panels so I can easily access the evaporator or expand later if I want. The overhang to the right in the picture allows me to pull the wagon up to the side of the boiler and be mostly out of the weather.

This pic is taken with my phone from my office window - sorry for the crappy quality.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg190/HAHAI1/sugarshack.jpg

Right now I am using a homemade 2x6 evaporator with flat-bottom stainless pans (2x3 main with a 1x2 preheater). I am working on a drop-flue 2x3 so I can increase to more taps.

sap retreiver
01-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Why won't my wife let me get a nice arch and a roof?
nice setup. better than my borrowed barrel in the driveway.

Haynes Forest Products
01-11-2011, 01:40 AM
I dont know Sap Reteriver Have her call me I have a way with stubborn wives:o Just ask my third one:lol:

HAHA I 1
01-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Why won't my wife let me get a nice arch and a roof?
nice setup. better than my borrowed barrel in the driveway.

I made that evaporator out of scrap metal! I had to buy 1 piece of 20 ga for it, but everything else was lying around. I had been given a nice 3/8" thick sheet that was 4' x 5', so I had plenty to cut. Another guy gave me the fire bricks, so I have very little money in it.

ahowes
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Very nice. I am hooking mine onto the pole barn in a similar fashion although you are much farther along than I am. Is it OK if I invite myself over to inspect it on my way to a business meeting in Cincy in a couple of weeks?

HAHA I 1
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
PM sent...