PDA

View Full Version : Good 5 days

Tim Wagoner
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Well had the first 5 big days of a sap run.:D We cooked about 725gal and WOW! Every year it is just like smelling that sap cooking for the very first time. We got the pan sweet and made 5 gal of syrup on top of that. The season is under way. I still don’t have all my lines up and I only have 250 taps out right now and that is a long way away from the 750 that I was in hopes of having out buy this time. But I guess that is how it goes. The best way to look at it is I am easing into it this year.:rolleyes: Here is a question for you guys.:confused: My sap from one area on the day it flowed the best was almost 2.5% and on the day that we had the least flow it was just under 2%. Why?? Does the cold weather (but still above freezing) keep the sugar down? I was surprised at the difference in sugar content from the same area 1 day to the next

afretired
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Tim
I knew the weather was just about right but I've been working about as hard as I can to get ready. I sure hope it hangs on for a while longer. I'm a little east of you in Greensburg.

David

Goggleeye
01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Tim-
I'm just a little west of you, and I was curious as to if you have had anymore runs since the first week in January? I didn't get my taps out until this past week, and still have another 140 to go, but didn't get much of a run these last few days. How about you? Or anybody else close to SE MO who might be reading this?
Mark

BryanEx
01-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I was planning on posting a news brief in early February on www.Sugarbush.Info (http://www.sugarbush.info) about how the sap has started to run for Southern producers but you boys just messed up that plan. Even though Kentucky is in my directory I never thought of that far South. Minus 25 here today with snow on the way so it's hard to imagine sap runs... but it's coming for us all sooner (or much later). :razz:

Goggleeye
01-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Well, I spoke too soon. Megasapflow last night:D Averaged more than a gallon per tap.