PDA

View Full Version : What about drywall in the Sugarhouse?

holey_bucket
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
One of the buildings I am considering moving into has concrete floors, a drop ceiling (which I could remove or modify), and drywall walls. Would this be a bad idea? Does anyone have any experience with drywall in a sugarhouse?

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2011, 01:01 AM
It would react like in a shower!Like in a house if you have a fan or window to remove moisture. Do you have a steam hood? Depends on the type of paint. With a steam hood your ok

maplwrks
01-10-2011, 06:21 AM
I don't think that drywall will be an issue for you. I am considering sheetrock for my ceilings, as I don't have any steam in my sugarhouse.

holey_bucket
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
It would react like in a shower!Like in a house if you have a fan or window to remove moisture. Do you have a steam hood? Depends on the type of paint. With a steam hood your ok

I don't have anything, except a turkey fryer at the moment. But I am interested in building an arch, and the building I choose will determine maximum arch sizes for the future. Plus, If I start with a 2x4, or 2x6, is it even possible to have hoods for something that small?

The building with drywall would be nice and warm, insulated, with a bathroom and better lighting.

maplwrks
01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
They make hoods for all evaporator sizes

whalems
01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Yes you can get hoods that small. you can also fabricate your own on the cheap for temporary. I have seen on this site pics of hoods made out of 1x2 and covered w/ plastic and a vent tube out the top. If it is larger then the arch is wide the condensation will drip on the floor or you could make "channels" with the plastic sheeting at the bottom and collect the condensate in buckets for hot water clean up. Hope this helps. Mike

holey_bucket
01-10-2011, 08:42 AM
sweet. In that case... I have a friend that can get me some 18g stainless duct (LARGE) that I can use to make my own vent and steam hood. I like the hot water idea. I tore out the old hot water heater, I've been missing that... So, all in all, with proper venting, that room may be usable. I suppose, even if I upgrade in the future, and find the drywall is a problem, I could tear it out and put up plywood, osb, or something of the like.

Thanks!

shane hickey
01-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey there, If your set up gets inspected they will not let you use drywall beause of the mildew. Every time I get done boiling I power wash the building to keep it clean. Inspectors really reconmend this inMichigan. When drywall get wet it's like a sponge, then it will fall apart and crumble. If theres no inspector then I would leave it till alone till it crumbles. If you would like I can e-mail you the regulations for Michigan and the food license cost I think it is $75.00 this year. Her name is Pam Weiver (Health Inspector) shane

whalems
01-10-2011, 10:47 AM
I run a camp with a comercial kitchen here in northern michigan that doubles a sap shack in spring. It has drywall walls and ceiling in it and I am licensed thru the depertment of ag to produce maple syrup. I think the requirement for licensing is a "hard cleanable surface" we use a polyurathane pased paint or a oil base with gloss finish. Hope this helps. Mike

peacemaker
01-10-2011, 11:24 AM
why not just cover it with milk house sheets .....

holey_bucket
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks, good info guys. It looks like the drop ceiling would be a problem, then. The drywall probably would, also, because the people who owned it before me let some moisture tear it up a bit. Since I've owned it, I run a dehumidifier constantly in the summer. Bummer. Maybe the pole barn will be better, I wouldn't have to tear out drywall and drop ceiling.

Shane, thanks, I'll send you a PM with my email address. I won't be selling this year, but soon. Soon.

bobsklarz
01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a 16x32 sugarhouse w/ drywall insulated walls and ceiling. No steam hood over my 2x6, just two 2x3 hatches in ceiling w/ cupola on peaked roof. Walls painted w/ exterior paint. No problems at all. Also open windows some when boiling. Keep it heated all Winter w/ wood stove. Nice little get-away.:)

Michael Greer
04-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Don't be tempted to use OSB!...That stuff is like a smorgasbord for mold. There are some paperless wallboard products out there...yellow on the back and white on front with a fiberglass sheet instead of paper. It's quite a lot more moisture resistant than the blue-green paper covered type.

Fred Henderson
04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Get the water proof drywall, it may not be perfect but it better that that other stuff.