PDA

View Full Version : put in one tap today just for fun

stephen wheeler
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
We got home from church today around noon. The sun was shining and it was about 37 degrees. We thought it might be fun to try putting in one tap. Drilled the hole and it was immediately wet. It was not dripping fast but it was fun to hear the familiar sound of the drops hitting the bottom of the bucket. Doesn't look like the weather will cooperate much in the next week.

stephen wheeler
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
In case anyone was interested, we did get about 4-5 ounce of sap that Sunday and the day after from that one tap. :)

Revi
01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
That's great! We probably won't tap yet, but if it warms up in February, it will be time. We don't tap until it looks like it will keep running, but I know some big producers start tapping around now, and don't get done until March.

Happy tapping! Glad to know that the season has started!

TapME
01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm with you Revi, looks like a ole fashion winter so the first of March looks to be about right. Happy tappin to anyone that starts now.

adk1
01-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing the end of Feb. as my avatar shows, I have one sap sack and holder. Still need to get a 5/16" tap. Anyways, never tapped a tree on my property, just curious to see if I would get a decent amount and at what times. The sugarbush is on a pretty dominant south facing slope

JuniperHillSugar
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey all, its great to be back on the Trader. Its been a busy year so far with the farm and family. We're looking forward to a successful season, if Mother Nature allows. We've got a few changes due at the sugarhouse, really to make it more user and visitor friendly. New front doors, and hook up the permanent wiring. The W.F. Mason 2x4 still looks great, just need to clean her up. We added about 30 acres to our farm this fall, with a reasonable number of sugar maples, we're still counting. Now how do I get at the sap, snowmobile, ATV, team of goats, on foot? We like the snow cover, maybe we'll have a real season this year. In a month or so it will be go time, hold on!