PDA

View Full Version : Dairy pump setup questions

Brokermike
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I have my massport (universal) dairy pump all set up with the water trap, pressure release valve, and am oil reclaimer that drips back into a oil reservoir on top of the pump. Being new to vacuum I still have a few questions.

When I first started it up (cold) it'll jump up to about 22"-23" steady until I adjust the release valve to get it down to about 18-19". Now with the valve set where I want it, I let it run for a few hours. When I came back it was hanging around 17". As it heats up is it normal for the vacuum to decrease?

Also I am currently running a 20w-50 synthetic oil, because that's what I had hanging around, when the pump was warm I could hear the vanes a little inside the pump. Is this normal or should I be switching to a thicker oil?

It gets hot, but not so hot that you can't place your hand on it. Are there any rules of thumb on hot versus too hot? I assume this is related to oil viscosity?

Thanks for any insight

tuckermtn
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
with my sp-11s I do Parker's patented "spit N sizzle" test. spit on the main part of the pump and if it sizzles/evaporates almost instantly than its too hot.

maple connection
01-09-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure if your oil reclaimer has a thermometer on it. but, it should not run over 120 degrees. Thats what my alamo's ran at. I ran only vacuum pump oil which is pretty thin I'm not sure how that compares to 20w . Your pump maybe worn alittle that way you see a drop in the vacuum but, the regulator should keep it at a constant 18 inches if it is working correctly. (check for a defective gauge). Make sure the drippers are dripping fast enough a drip every couple seconds will help keep the pump cool and perform better. A well oiled pump is a happy pump:).

Dennis H.
01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
To give a little better seal in the pump for better vac you probably need to run more oil thru the thing.

This is what is called flooding. The oil is used for 2 things. 1 to form a better seal with the vanes and the pump body and 2 to carry excess heat out of the pump.

This is where the type of oil is important, With the heat these pumps are producing at high vac levels it can caiuse the oil to mist and vaporize. This isn't a major problem it just now means that you have to make a oil reclaimer that can reclaim this atomized oil.

You can get real fancy with the vac pump setup, just keep asking around people on here may post some of thier vac setup's

farmall h
01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Brokermike, I have the identical pump as you. Massport (Universal) dairy pump. It was a spare given to my father from his brother. I have a 12hp Briggs & Stratton mounted on the old frame (tank was shot). I was planning on using a propane tank as a moisture tank....or use 2 in-line jars. Originally had a 1 1/2 hp electric motor. Started gas motor (from old snowblower) and I was able to run it at half throttle...25-27" vac on the gauge. I do not have a vac regulator on it. Should I? I thought the whole idea was to gain as much vac a possible...sucking sap not milking cows! This will be my first year with proper vacuum. Still working on the set-up but at least I know it works. Lots to learn...the hard way.;)

danno
01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Brokermike -about losing vacuum after running your pump a while.

Is your pump already hooked up to your mainline?

When you turn your pump on while all your lines are still frozen, the pump will run at higher vacuum. As your lines thaw, the pump will find those leaks in your lines which will drop your vacuum a bit.

Brokermike
01-09-2011, 08:15 PM
just hooked up to a gate valve at this point, it seems i have some kinks to work out.

I run it at 18" roughly to keep it from getting too hot, about an hour or three at 25" and it won't pass the spit and sizzle test

Haynes Forest Products
01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Brokermike Why do you have a "PRESSURE RELEASE VALVE" on the set up and where is it located in the system? Dead Heading the pump ( no incoming air) will overheat most OILED type pumps. Get a guage on it and let in some air and see how it runs. Keep in mind that no matter how tight your system is you will have gases that will help cool the pump.

Brokermike
01-10-2011, 07:35 AM
my apologies it is a vacuum regulator that I ordered online from parts dept. It is designed for the dairy pumps I guess. In my eyes it is a pressure release valve but I guess I used the wrong term.