PDA

View Full Version : Roof Jack Question

ToadHill
01-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Leader threw me a curve. My new roof jack is different than the ones that I've installed in the past. It is a 14" peak mount. The stack will slide up into the roof jack about 1-2 feet from the bottom, but it won't go through the roof jack. It wedges into the roof jack, but not 100% tight. The top of the roof jack is crimped just like the stack and piece of stack fits down over it perfectly. It goes together just like two pieces of stack would go together. I'm used to the type that the stack passes up through roof jack with a 1-2" space between the stack and the roof jack and they aren't connected to each other. With the type I'm used to there is a rain collar that fits around the stack above the roof jack.

It worries me that the stack goes up into the roof jack, but there isn't a tight fit. It seems like a place for smoke and sparks to leak out. I'm also worried about how much the roof jack flexes back and forth with a piece of stack and a stack cover on it. I'm afraid that the wind is going to work it back and forth and over time it will break the joints in the roof jack (they are only soldered).

Questions; Does anyone else have a roof jack like this? What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to install this? How do you run the cables from the stack cover down into the sugarhouse without causes a leak?

Thanks for your help.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
You have the best smoke roof jack available in my opinion. I have several feet of stack above where it wedges into the roof jack and I get no sparks coming back down due to the draft and air pushing and pulling them on up. This eliminates 100% of leaks and there is no rain collar to deal with.

You can support the stack with guide wire like a triangle formation if it goes more than a few feet above the top of the roof. My stack is about 5' above the top of the roof and I have no supports and it has been up 7 years and shows no signs of any failure.

bobbyjake
01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Toadhill - when you say it isn't tight, what exactly do you mean? If your stack on your evap is short such that it isn't jammed right into the collar, then you may need to get put another short piece on top, cut to length as needed so it is pretty snug up in there. If your concern is only the little crimping corragations in the top section of "inside" stack, then you can may want to "push" some of the crimp back out of them so the stack swells a little larger in diameter. Assuming your foundation is good and the evap doesn't walk all over the place with the frost coming out of the ground, those collars work great.

ToadHill
01-10-2011, 09:36 AM
I spoke to Dean at Leader this morning. He tells me I installed it correctly. He says they do over a hundred of these each year. Everyone likes this style roof jack the best since it is water tight. He says I don't need to worry about how tight the pipe is going up into the roof jack. He also says to put more screws through the roof jack into the roof and that should take the play out. I'll try it. Also, he said that they suggest that any wood should be 12" from the stack. Thanks for the help.