PDA

View Full Version : Mainline do-over

cropseyvillemark
01-09-2011, 11:06 AM
My old mainline went around the trees. I want to use the side-tie method for the new one. My questions are: Do the side ties grab the hanging wire & the pipe, or just the wire? Does the side wire simply twist back onto itself,or is there a connector of some kind? Lastly, can I use the entrance fittings from the old main on the new one?

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Side tie the wire, not the wire and pipe. I just wrap the side tie wire back around itself. Make sure there is an eye in your wrap around the mainline wire large enough that the mainline wire will slide. Hook the side tie wire to the mainline, go around your side tie tree and attach again to the mainline wire so there are 2 points of connection a few inches apart.
You could reuse the fittings but they may be damaged in dis assembling the old line so that they may cause a vacuum leak. They will also harbor bacterial contamination. If the old ones are stainless, I'd reuse them. If not, get new ones.

collinsmapleman2012
01-09-2011, 02:20 PM
wrap the side ties around the wire then on to itself at least 5 times. that way it wont come undone when theres lots of tension, because that could be dangerous.

peacemaker
01-09-2011, 03:04 PM
if u want a tool to wrap it with they sell one at tsc

maple flats
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Use at least 14 ga, wind it around the support wire, back around the 14, back around the support and then twist it around the 14 at lease 5 times. I used to go just once around the support wire and then twist back onto the tie wire, but I side pull so tight that a few ties failed. The wire never broke from tension, it came untied. After I started the extra wrap around the tie and back arount the support I never again had a failure. Then the only ones that let loose is when a limb or big branch fell on it and the wire broke, just like it was designed to do, protecting the support wire.