PDA

View Full Version : Question about thermoniters

Houranch
01-07-2011, 09:09 AM
This is going to be my third year making syrups and we are all enjoy it on a small scale, the first year I used a regular candy thermoniter and was dissapointed with it,, the second year(last year) I used a digital thermoniter which had a long cord and could be inmersed into the syrup , and it worked well,, and I also used a small hand held digital thermoniter that you would use for checking turkey cooking etc,,
My questions ,, have any of you used a point and shoot laser digital thermoniter that reads instantly??
I my concern is that while the sap is boiling and when taking the tempature, the thermoniter would take a reading of the boiling bubbles on top , which in turn may be a little cooler then the actual liquid sap,, and since we are dealing in "tenths" of degrees, will I be unhappy with this type of thermoniter,, thanks,,

maple connection
01-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I am going to try a laser thermometer this spring but, I don't think it is going to give me a true reading. I think its going to do just what you said its going to read the first thing the laser beam hits which might be the steam. I am a foreman of a asphalt plant and we use these laser guns alot. If there is steam you don't get a true reading. Even at best the laser is 5 to 8 degrees off from a calibrated probe Thermometer. But its worth a try, to see what happens.
Kevin

maplwrks
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I would get a hydrometer and use your thermoniters as a
guideline. The hydrometer is the only way to check true density.

davey
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
the laser thermometer will usually only read the steam coming off of the syrup as that is the first thing the beam hits and reflects back from. It would be nice if they worked, but from experience, have found they don't.

maple flats
01-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I concure, or a properly calibrated refractometer.