PDA

View Full Version : Roofing

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-14-2005, 06:18 PM
I need a little help. I am planning on using the baked enamel roofing for my new sugarhouse and had a couple of questions and concerns. What concerns me is the hot embers/coals that blow out the top of the stack?? Do they damage the finish on the baked enamel roof?? I know that when ash and water mix, it creats lye and I was afraid it could damage the finish. :?: :?

Also, the baked enamel is usually steel or galvalloy. The galvalloy has aluminum in it and is not supposed to rust and has a rust thru warrantywhere the steel will rust. The galvalloy is a touch more, but seems worth it too me :?: :?

cheesegenie
05-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I have some odd pieces of coloured roofing on the wall behind
the stack, the heat does blister the paint. I know it is too close
but that`s what happens when you build too small.And about
sparks, my friend just lost his camp,woodshed, evaporator
and everything. It was a 3x14 Dom. Grimm. The sparks got
into the wood shed, 30 cords of dry cedar,etc.Lots of wood
was left due to the poor sap runs.

brookledge
05-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Brandon,
I have the plain galvalloy now been through 3 seasons and no problem so far. I would rather have that then asphalt shingles. I'm not sure as to wether the colored type will give you any problems or not. Hopefully someone else will let you know if they use the colored style with a wood fired arch.
Keith

Rob Harvey
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I have a burgandy colored steel roof on my sugarhouse with a wood fired arch. It has gone through two sugaring seasons with no ill effects yet. The roofing is from morton buildings. We burn lots of pine and spruce so there are plenty of flying sparks, but as I said it dosent seem to be a problem. Rob

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-15-2005, 05:26 PM
I am mainly concerned about the ash laying on it and of course the sparks hitting it. I would think that since it will be cool, the sparks should go out fast but with the ash laying on it, :?: :?: :?: ....

forester1
05-16-2005, 07:08 AM
I think mine is proline brand baked painted steel roof. It scratches easy so you have to be careful putting it up, and it changes to a duller finish after a while from leaves and whatnot landing on it. That's the only downsides I see. Otherwise it works fine.

Mike
05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't mind wood but I Like OIL for some of the reason listed!!!! :D :D

brookledge
05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Brandon,
One thing you might be able to do is get a scrap piece from somewhere and do your own test. Plaster it with ash and then get it wet and leave it for some time to see if it makes a lye that damages the finish.
Keith

Maple Flats
05-16-2005, 08:10 PM
I've had mine (painted steel, baked?) for 2 seasons and I see no damage from the ground. I will try to go up top and check this weekend and report then. My pitch is 6/12 which might help. I have hemlocks growing nearby and get some needles built up a little, but not a mat, just a few scattered, no damage seen from the ground.
Maple Flats

latewood
05-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I have had plain old galvanized metal roofing on for 15 years now and the tiny bit of rust I noticed is where the sheets are overlapped by the few clear fiberglass panels I used to let in light from above during the daylight hours. Have burned wood here all those years and dont think the ash falling has any effect whatsoever.

Maple Flats
05-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I climbed up into the cupola yesterday with the vents open and got a close look. I see no damage at all, no pit marks, no blistering nor any dulling of the color. Mine has been used for 2 seasons.
Good luck on your project. :D :D You do need to be careful about scratching when handling it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help. If anyone else has any more, please let me know. :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-24-2005, 08:21 AM
post edited

sweetwoodmaple
05-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Yup, I'm not that far away and could use the excuse for a road trip.

Just let us know...

VA maple guy
05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
I"m just a bit east of you. count me in.
Gerry

MaineMapleDave
05-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Been away for a while, but thougt I'd weigh in a bit.

I'm an architect, so this is right up my alley!!

Go with either the galvalume of galvalloy--they're proprietery trade names for a rust-resistant alloy that has a good portion of aluminum. The no-rust-through warranty is A Good Thing.

If you go with painted metal, look for the word Kynar or Hylar in the manufacturer's literature: they're a very good polymer paint finish that resists fading longer than regular "baked" enamel.

That stated, I would strongly suggest avoiding a painted roof for the reasons others have mentioned, and go with something like a plain old "Mill finish" galvalume/galvalloy.

Have fun!!

gmcooper
05-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Brandon,

Thought I might as well ad to the roofing discussion. We use several brands of metal roofing in our construction business. however the one brand we prefer to use is "Everlast" which is made north of you in Lebonon, PA. Of all the brands it is the only one we have used with no fading, rusting or paint defects. I put it on our addition 2 years ago which is 2 feet from my stack pipe. Sparks, ash, hot embers the whole nine yards landed on it with no effect. It is made with a special process that makes the finish toughest on the market. It is not the lowest price roofing but you get what you pay for. Unfinished galvalume or galvanized roofing will corrode enough on the surface to reduce the ability to shed snow and leaves over a short period of time (steeper the less chance of anything staying on it).

Also on keeping dry inside if you put 1" styrofoam insulation panels between your rafters on the backside of the purlins you get no condensation drips.

Good Luck
Mark