PDA

View Full Version : Finally - A roof over my head

Big_Eddy
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
After 20+ years of making syrup with a 2x3 pan and a block arch, I finally got around to making a new set of pans last year, then an arch over the summer.

Over the Christmas break, the boys and I tossed up a new home. It's not done yet, but at least I have a roof over my head if needed, and by the time I get to tapping, I expect to have the rest sealed up.

12'x20' with 8' walls and a 4' Gambrel roof to match the tractor shed close by. Cupola is 4'x6' with 18" openings on each side. Evaporator will be in the back half, putting a loft in the front half for storage and other stuff. May throw up a dividing wall but not likely. 4' wide roof for wood storage to go on the left side ahead of the rear door. It's downhill from the driveway, so plan to use gravity to drain the collecting tanks to our bulk tank.

As soon as the ground thaws out again, I'll haul a couple of loads of gravel from our pit to fill the base in up to the level of the 6x6s.

Oh - and yes - pictures were taken on Jan 1st - Don't you love all our snow :rolleyes:

lastwoodsman
01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Looks great--I know nice it is to have the help building it.
Woodsman

Ausable
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Hey Big Eddy - Nice job on the Sugar Shack - Nice to do a boil with the weather on the outside and You on the inside. Once again - very nice job. --- Mike

Sugarmaker
01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Big E,
I like it! and if you have boiled outside that long, you have sure earned it!
Chris

Big_Eddy
01-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Got a little more done on it this weekend (although no where near as much as I would have liked) The doors are now built and ready to be hung and I got the roof joists installed for the loft end. The plywood is sitting there ready to be lifted up and screwed down which could happen as soon as tonight if the kids don't have me committed to something else when I get home. Once I get the doors on, the evaporator is moving in, and I'll finally be able to turn around in my garage again.

cvmaple
01-13-2011, 09:10 PM
That looks great Ed. You are going to love being inside out of the wind and rain or snow???? You should have a little bit by now. Post some more pics when you get all set up. I like that it will match your tractor shed. keep up the good work
cvmaple.

18x48 D&G
15x13 shanty
50 last year
80 this year