PDA

View Full Version : Steam hood

Eric McLellan
01-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Has anyone every tried building a steam hood over a evaporator that doesn't sit on top of pans. I currently have standard unit with flue and syrup pans.4X12 intensive fire II. Wondering if steam would roll under hoods if they were built with an overhang of 2" on the sides and be hanging 12" over flue pan and 18" over syrup pan. Was thinking of suspending from ceiling. Possibly making it from either heavy plastic or alum...

Quabbin Hill Farms
01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Eric most front hoods are suspended usually 12-20" above the pans so you can test density and keep an eye on things. I never seen it done on a back pan but it works on the front so it should on the back as well.
Greg

maple flats
01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I've seen it done on both pans. The one that did it on both just had a wooden firing strip frame hung and lined the inside with plastic. It was about 6" over sized and dripped on the floor (a dirt floor). That producer has now retired but his sugarhouse was on the cover of Maple Digest last year, and he earned ribbons at the NYS Fair every year. He is now an Adirondak guide.
On my front pan the hood is suspended about 16-18" and is 6" shorter, all in the front. Ste steam rises and probably over 95% of the steam goes into the hood. You should be ok for steam removal, but a pre heater would not work as well as one in a tight fitting hood.

Haynes Forest Products
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
A tight hood does not rely on draw/draft to expel the steam. A open hood does rely on draft from the raising heat and hot steam. But as steam cools its heavy so you need a large enough steam stack to get it out fast before cool surounding air gets to it. Plus its important that if your relying on draft that you have makeup air to help with the out going steam air..open window , doors or a vent in the wall.