PDA

View Full Version : Axe handle source?

3fires
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Hmm, a bit embarrasing, but I can't seem to find a good axe handle locally for my double bit. Any suggestions?

I figure there must be a few folks here who chop or at least use an axe to split wood.

Ausable
01-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Hmm, a bit embarrasing, but I can't seem to find a good axe handle locally for my double bit. Any suggestions?

I figure there must be a few folks here who chop or at least use an axe to split wood.

Have a double bit too - so I know what they look like and I have seen them for sale - just can't remember where. When I come accross them again I'll be sure and let You know who has them --- Mike

lastwoodsman
01-06-2011, 06:11 AM
I was just looking at them at Tractor Supply this week-end.
They carry many types of replacment handles.
Woodsman

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Probably find a good one on ebay for cheap!

maple flats
01-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Try Madsens, Baileys or GKS, all loggers supply houses, all good.
Then when you swing the ax, don't hit the handle. When done don't lay it where you will drive the tractor or truck over it. They last longer that way.

bobsklarz
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Google "Lehmans Hardware" in Kidron Ohio. They ship things anywhere for a price. :)

peacemaker
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM
lehmans or lee valley

Ausable
01-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I was just looking at them at Tractor Supply this week-end.
They carry many types of replacment handles.
Woodsman

Hey - Speaking of Tractor Supply - Found a nice tool there called a Log Jack for under $40.oo. Looks like a cant-hook on a T support. Hook on the end of an approx. 4" to 8" dia. log and roll it up on the T. Gets it off the ground and makes it a lot more easy to cut up. Great for geezers like myself - who don't bend as well anymore. --- Mike

3fires
01-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I think we still have a TSC locally, might check them out. If not I'll hit up the others, but it looks like the shipping on a handle is as much or more than the handle itself, lol.

I'll try and remeber not to drive over it too. :rolleyes:

Thiems sugarshack
01-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Speaking of axes I split all my sugaring wood by hand or most of it rather.It gives me somthing to do in the off season when i start thinking about sugaring.This year I used a FISKARS maul or I think they call it a super splitting axe and it is the best thing I have ever used.It takes little effort to split anything.It even goes right through knots.I would highly recommend it.Does anyone else have one and use it?

maple flats
01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I have a Fiskers axe. I do not split with it thou, just use it to limb and drive plastic wedges when felling trees. At other times I use the excavator instead of wedges, just raise the bucket up high and give a little push, then cut the tree, it always falls right that way.

Ausable
01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Thiems - Yep --I still do a little of that - little as possible. My shoulders are kinda wore out and sometimes I forget that and get reintroduced to pain. As I've aged I find a hydraulic splitter is a handy device. The most fun is when the gang are up and my Son-in-law gets into a wood splitting contest with some of my Grandsons - using mauls of various weights. The rest of us - can't stack wood fast enough to keep up. Now that is a sport I encourage for young men or even older guys with a few beers in them. Huummm - Now ya got me thinking - How do I lure them up here again for another wood splitting contest - they are starting to get wise to me--- hahaha --- Mike

Flat47
01-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Double bit axes seem kinda rare here in the East, but very common out West. I think they use the same handle as a Pulaski (wildland fire fighting tool, axe on one side of head and grub hoe on the other). 36" long and straight so you get the same grip regardless of the side you're using. Most hardware stores have them or can get them. Try looking/asking for one for a Pulaski (pronounced "pull-ask-ee").