PDA

View Full Version : Question to fellow traders??????

cpmaple
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Could anyone out there point me in the direction i need to go about selling syrup from my home/sugarhouse? It wouldn't be alot looking to make 100 gallons this year and would like to get a little back from it. I do it for fun but, would like to get some back for the cost of power, and jugs and my time. Thanks in advance chad (cpmaple) crown point , NY

Sugarmaker
01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
CP,
May want to check with local food inspector in your area.
Make sure you have good home owners insurance coverage.
Put out a sign.
Have a open house weekend.
Chris

cpmaple
01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks sugarmaker for the advice and i've looked but couldnt find and rules or guide lines which i know there must be some out there.

shane hickey
01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I would agree with sugarmaker, Do alot of advertising.

BryanEx
01-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Could anyone out there point me in the direction i need to go about selling syrup from my home/sugarhouse?
cpmaple... if you aren't already involved, check out your local maple producers association and other local producers. www.Sugarbush.Info will have the links to both.

Sugarmaker
01-05-2011, 08:48 PM
CP,
Well I m not sure about the rules being very strict or written down. You are basically starting a hobby business. So you can get as detailed as you want. We sell about what your interested in doing. Make a great maple product. Stand behind it. Listen to your customers. Look at your competitors, Join a maple association. Go to local craft fairs or events. Print business cards. Get a tax adviser. Give samples. Keep good records on purchases and expenses. Get a copy of the North American maple book.
Keep having fun!
Chris

dnap63
01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Chad, I see you are in NY state, as sugested a good place for information is the New York State Maple Producers Assn.( NYSMaple.com) on their site you can find a link to the NY state Dept of Ag and Markets regulations. In short for a small producer selling your own syrup you must label it with the proper grade and name and address of the producer. Also before you set up a roadside stand check with your Towns Code or Zoning officer to see if they have any restrictions.

cpmaple
01-05-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks for the input that tells me alot one more thing does ny use the same test as vt for grade? or does ny make a set also we have to use?

collinsmapleman2012
01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
we use the US grading set. its pretty much the same thing

Bucket Head
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Cpmaple,

I'm not sure where Crown Point is. How far away are you from Utica? This weekend in Vernon NY (close to Utica) there is a maple syrup confernce and two of the topics/seminars are insurance for producers and starting a maple business. I'm looking forward to the conference- I do each year! Is it something you could get to? It might be worth the trip.

Steve

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-06-2011, 04:04 AM
CP,
We can use the Vt grading kit. We just call our lightest syrup "light amber" rather than "fancy" as the Vermonters do (Unless you are as old as I am and remember the las time we changed grades:rolleyes:).
As others have suggested, try to get to Verona this weekend. Saturday is the day for all the classes. You will be overwhelmed with inf. Should be a bit over a 2 hour drive for you going West on the NYS Thruway.

maplwrks
01-06-2011, 06:27 AM
CP---
You are not that far from Middlebury, We are hosting one of the 3 Vt. state maple schools next weekend. This might be a good start for you. I don't know of any maple assoc. on that side of the lake, but if you are interested in joining the Addison County Assoc., the dues are real cheap and it will put you in touch with a lot of sugarmakers that are less than an hour from you.