PDA

View Full Version : filter presses, alum vs. cast iron

Maple Flats
05-12-2005, 05:49 PM
please help, what are the pro's and cons of alum and cast iron plates on a filter press? Does the cast ever have rust problems? What can be done to eliminate problem? Why would I be better off with alum? or is there no real advantage to either?

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
05-15-2005, 03:13 PM
If you have an option to go with aluminum, do it! Aluminum is MUCH easier to clean and keep clean. It also won't take as much heat out of your syrup, so the syrup will stay hotter and filter a little bit better/easier.

forester1
05-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Also with aluminum, if you drop a plate on your foot, it won't hurt as bad.

sugaring42long
05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
I have a different view about the heat theory. I have used both and the cast iron press takes longer to warm up meaning it takes heat out of the syrup more gradually but for a longer time. But once it's hot it will stay hot for a long time as the cast iron has more mass and doesn't radiate heat away like aluminum. A hot aluminum press cools back down amazingly fast.
The main advantage I see of aluminum is corrosion resistance but a cast iron press will get "seasoned" with use much like a cast iron skillet and won't rust on the inside where the syrup touches it. The outside will need painting once in a while to keep it looking like new.
I use a cast iron press and believe the heat retention qualities outweigh the periodic painting and weight issues. I am in the minority with this as it seems most people want aluminum even if they don't know why.

saphead
05-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree,cast iron is my choice. I don't like anything aluminum touching any food product. The aluminum lobby is to strong in DC. to remove aluminum cooking products from the market,countries in Europe banned the stuff a long time ago! Can you say Alzimers ,aluminum is a leading cause but you'll never here about it in this country. Remember, it's all about the $!

sweetwoodmaple
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
If aluminum was such a clear cut answer to Alzheimers, it would have been cured years ago.

Compared to other sources, the amount of aluminum that you are getting from the press is not significant. Unless, of course, you are storing your syrup in there without cleaning between batches. Don't think that is the case, of course.

You can make the same case for older tin or stainless/lead solder pans. Making sure you don't store sap in there for long periods is the key.

There are conflicts of interest everywhere, whether D.C. or Europe.

Do your best with your own research, I think that is the way to go.

John Burton
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
As far as filter presses go I found an online manual for the wes-fab presses. It says you can use them for beer and juices too. has anyone ever done it will it leave any residual taste on the plates? just wondering if I can double up on the use of the press I am going to buy.

brookledge
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work for other liquids except for the micron rating of the papers. Can you filter it to finely to the point where is is not as good? I don't know. I think it would work. With syrup you have to use filter aid may have to do the same with other liquids maybe trial and error. As far as residual taste on the plates I would say no. Its no different than cooking with your pots and pans as long as you wash them good you should be fine. If the papers are to fine you can probably still find clothes that were made for presses. They are designed to be washed after each use but most people have gone to papers for the simplicity.

Sure is good seeing all the coments on al. vs cast. keep up the good coments everybody. Makes the maple trader even better.
Keith

J. R. Dodge
05-18-2005, 06:37 AM
In their monthly newsletter Atkinson Maple Supply has an article on presses. It says that aluminum plates react with wine and juices and should not be used for them.
www.atkinsonmaple.com

forester1
05-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Who makes cast iron? I only see aluminum in the catalogs I have.

brookledge
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Now that it was mentioned it makes sense that aluminum would not be good for juices because of the acids in them. I know that aluminum is very suseptable to corrosion. As far as who makes cast iron plates I don't know anyone who still makes them, but I do know that CDL(Waterloo/Small) is coming out with an all stainless filter press. Probably out of everybodys price range though.
Keith