PDA

View Full Version : Lapierre slide filltings

jasonl6
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Has anyone had any experiance with these. I'm tubbing a new section and like the fact there is less places to leak.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Work great and an easy place to take up slack in the lateral.

maplwrks
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
They are the only thing I use---I use them at the end tree and at the mainline

mapleack
01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I love them, very nice to use. After they've been out you may find them difficult to get apart, but a little creativity with a two handed tool solves the problem quick.

ennismaple
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
They're well worth the money and we use them at the mainline for every lateral. I loosely twist a wire tie around the steel and then hook the slide fitting onto the wire tie - it seems to lock together better.

red maples
01-05-2011, 01:59 PM
started using them this year. I love 'em so far!!! I just tap them a little and they open right up.

lafite
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I just received my hook attachments (which I forgot to order when I ordered the slide fittings) today and promptly installed a 100' run. They are fantastic!

jasonl6
01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Seems like a no brainer. Thanks for the info. I am installing all new for the first time and want to make it as good and easy as possible.

Jason

ennismaple
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Other companies sell the couplings with a hook on them that do the same thing. IMHO they aren't as good as Lapierre's because you have to cut the pipe and there's 1 more fitting that can leak, reduce vacuum transfer, etc...

dnap63
01-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I didn't know about these, I am going to have to try some. I have been using the hook fittings but I like the idea of being able to snug up a sagging line.

tuckermtn
01-08-2011, 05:10 AM
I like them a lot- don't bother with the straps for the last tree end, get the additional hook for 5/16ths tubing and use that instead on the last tree end of your laterals.

adk1
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
oh darn, if I am going to use the slides on both the mainline wire and the end tree, I am supposed to get straps for the end tree installation? I did remember to order the hooks for the mailine wire at least!

Correction, I just watched the video again. You actually use the hooks at the endtree to attach back to the lateral. The straps are for if you do not attach to the mainlien wire, but just the mainline? I havent seen the slide fitting yet, but there must be a notch in the front to snap onto the mainline wire to keep the tension?

3rdgen.maple
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
oh darn, if I am going to use the slides on both the mainline wire and the end tree, I am supposed to get straps for the end tree installation? I did remember to order the hooks for the mailine wire at least!

Correction, I just watched the video again. You actually use the hooks at the endtree to attach back to the lateral. The straps are for if you do not attach to the mainlien wire, but just the mainline? I havent seen the slide fitting yet, but there must be a notch in the front to snap onto the mainline wire to keep the tension?

HUH! You do not need to purchase any extra hooks for the mainline the slides have the hook molded right onto it. The hooks you got I would asssume are for the tree end. I only use them on the mainline.

oneoldsap
07-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Have only heard good things ! We're going to use about 1200 of them . I still like the old Ys at the end Tree though , I just don't like the idea of the sap running around the Tree , at some point you're asking it to run up hill ! We all know that Fluids don't run up hill ! With the Ys the tubing around the Tree is inert . Less fittings means less potential Leaks !

3rdgen.maple
07-18-2011, 11:11 PM
OH yeah they are awesome to have especially at the mainline. It is nice to be able to pop one apart and retension a lat when needed with no cutting or splicing and not to mention its just one less possible place for a leak. Just stick an end line ring if you want to use them at the ree instead. Slide fitting 43 cents plus the strap or hook another 22 cents, an end line ring 23 cents. Adds up quick.

adk1
07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
yeah, I only bought 50 of them, will only have 25 lats off my mainline. I am still pondering the end line tree though but figured I would order plenty just in case. Thinking about using the hollow braid rope for the end tree actually.

lew
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
OH yeah they are awesome to have especially at the mainline. It is nice to be able to pop one apart and retension a lat when needed with no cutting or splicing and not to mention its just one less possible place for a leak. Just stick an end line ring if you want to use them at the ree instead. Slide fitting 43 cents plus the strap or hook another 22 cents, an end line ring 23 cents. Adds up quick.

I think one of us is missing something. I used the slide fittings in an addition this year and figured it was about a wash in price and a plus on less possible leaks. I figured .40 per slide fitting plus .23 per hook at end tree plus your choice of spout. That equals .63 per end. I used to use 2 T's, one to hook the line around the tree and back into itself and one for the dropline. that cost .35 per T and your choice of spout. that equaled .70 for endline. In your scenario you have an endline ring at .23 plus T at .35 plus your choice of spout. That equals .58 per endline. Yes this scenario is cheaper at a savings of .05 per endline, but with no possibility of removing the line without damage and splicing. this is very important to me in this particular woods because the landowner is constantly cutting firewwod and cull trees. I realize it may not be important to others, but for a nickel more, I am all over that one. Also, there are only 2 potential vacuum leaks with the endslide set up. 1 at the tubing/spout joint and 1 at the spout/tree. With the end line ring set up there are 6. 2 as mentioned before around the spout, 3 at the T, and 1 at the end ring. At 3 to 5 taps per lateral, that adds up quick for potential leaks. Am I missing something that I should be investigating. i am planning another 8-900 tap expansion this year and would appreciate any input.

3rdgen.maple
07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I think one of us is missing something. I used the slide fittings in an addition this year and figured it was about a wash in price and a plus on less possible leaks. I figured .40 per slide fitting plus .23 per hook at end tree plus your choice of spout. That equals .63 per end. I used to use 2 T's, one to hook the line around the tree and back into itself and one for the dropline. that cost .35 per T and your choice of spout. that equaled .70 for endline. In your scenario you have an endline ring at .23 plus T at .35 plus your choice of spout. That equals .58 per endline. Yes this scenario is cheaper at a savings of .05 per endline, but with no possibility of removing the line without damage and splicing. this is very important to me in this particular woods because the landowner is constantly cutting firewwod and cull trees. I realize it may not be important to others, but for a nickel more, I am all over that one. Also, there are only 2 potential vacuum leaks with the endslide set up. 1 at the tubing/spout joint and 1 at the spout/tree. With the end line ring set up there are 6. 2 as mentioned before around the spout, 3 at the T, and 1 at the end ring. At 3 to 5 taps per lateral, that adds up quick for potential leaks. Am I missing something that I should be investigating. i am planning another 8-900 tap expansion this year and would appreciate any input.

Lew and end line ring does not require a T. The lat runs through the ring then plugs into one fitting on the end line ring and the other fitting you stick the drop on it. So back to the oringinal figure. 43 cents for slide fitting +23 cents for hook or strap = 66 cents versus 23 cent for a end line ring. Almost 3rd the cost. At a 900 tap expansion that is a 387 dollar savings. But like you said its is one less potential leak so if you think it will get you more than 387 dollars in return by using the slide at both ends then it would be worth it.

lew
07-20-2011, 05:05 AM
The end ring i have seen in use has only 1 fitting for attaching to the tubing , hence the needed T. I looked through some websites and found the end ring you are talking about and agree with what you are saying. I told you one of us was missing something. However, this particular woods that we are expanding, The end slides make more sense. The owner is constantly cutting firewood and having to move my lines. the potential eases of repairs is worthe the extra money in the long run.

adk1
07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
You guys are big time. The cost doesnt matter to me. Hell, if they were $1.00 each more it wouldnt matter. I only have 25 lateral lines!

3rdgen.maple
07-20-2011, 12:49 PM
The end ring i have seen in use has only 1 fitting for attaching to the tubing , hence the needed T. I looked through some websites and found the end ring you are talking about and agree with what you are saying. I told you one of us was missing something. However, this particular woods that we are expanding, The end slides make more sense. The owner is constantly cutting firewood and having to move my lines. the potential eases of repairs is worthe the extra money in the long run.

Definately for the ease of taking down lats I would spend the money myself.

maple flats
07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I wasn't aware of them until I read this post yesterday. I immediately looked in their catalog and then ordered some from The Maple Guys. They look like a great idea and 1 less connection to leak.

3rdgen.maple
07-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Heres a picture of one I took tonight for those that never seen one. They are a great addition to any lateral.

adk1
07-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Just got mine in from the Maple Guys. Looked them over and I think that they will be perfect for me.

Randy Brutkoski
07-25-2011, 09:42 PM
3rdgen:Wow, July 20th and your sap is still running. Tell me your secret.

3rdgen.maple
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
3rdgen:Wow, July 20th and your sap is still running. Tell me your secret.

lol I was waiting for someone to chime in on that. Its water left in the line from flushing them out at the end of the year. Theres a little bit left t every slide fitting. Thats the only downside if you can call it that. They leave and arc of sorts in the loop to the saddle.

adk1
07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
I have been looking into the end tree fitting. I wont be using vac, and that loop around the tree, having the sap go up before it goes down is not good from what I hear and I understand why. I am liking the "Y" type fitting where you use a piece of tubing that goes on one of the barbs with no hole and is wrapped around to the opposite barb with no hole. then the middle barb is for your drop, which does have the hole. no upward flow of sap. Might look into getting these rather than using the slides. I think there are quite a few out there using this style of end line setup and it makes sence to me.

3rdgen.maple
07-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I have been looking into the end tree fitting. I wont be using vac, and that loop around the tree, having the sap go up before it goes down is not good from what I hear and I understand why. I am liking the "Y" type fitting where you use a piece of tubing that goes on one of the barbs with no hole and is wrapped around to the opposite barb with no hole. then the middle barb is for your drop, which does have the hole. no upward flow of sap. Might look into getting these rather than using the slides. I think there are quite a few out there using this style of end line setup and it makes sence to me.

Yeah thats all good ADK1 until you get a tree that needs a 2nd drop cut in. Then what do you do? A standard Y with open holes on all the barbs would be better. Sap isnt going to run uphill with these it will take the path of least resistance and with all the barbs open it wouldnt cause the sap to go uphill. My grandfather always said a maple will push sap the height of its highest branches anyways. I think what you are refering to is the end line fork right?