PDA

View Full Version : Check valve adapter question

Thiems sugarshack
01-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I noticed in the Bascoms magazine the check valve adapter said Improved.What has improved on the Check valve adapter?

sugarmountain
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I believe more impact resistant material.

DrTimPerkins
01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I noticed in the Bascoms magazine the check valve adapter said Improved.What has improved on the Check valve adapter?

I believe they made a few tweaks to address some comments of producers.

1. Slightly different composition of nylon via the addition of an "impact modifier" to the mix to prevent brittleness/breakage issues that some people had if the plastic had not "cured" enough.

2. Slightly different internal taper to better fit a few more stubby configurations.

3. Thickened the internal "teeth" that hold the check-valve ball in place.

All the new production since this summer has been for the new style.

Additionally, the Leader stubby also had a few changes. The biggest was that a small chamfer was put on the internal mating surface so that it is now much easier to mate the spout to the stubby without hitting the "teeth" of the spout on the stubby (causing bending or breakage). This was done mainly so the large producers who have to tap very fast do not have to slow down or otherwise alter their tapping practices in order to use the CV spout adapter. Slight tweak to the internal geometry I think as well.

The new CV spout adapter will still fit the old stubby, and the new stubby will still fit the old CV adapters. The geometry changes were very small.

They're still selling the 2009 model (made for the 2010 season) of the CV adapter but at a discount. The 2009 model is $0.25 each, until they're gone. Regular price for the new version is $0.35 each I think. Prices may vary depending upon who your dealer is.