PDA

View Full Version : Alamo help please

maple flats
01-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I haven't yet figured which rotary vane Alamo I have, but at 550 taps it shouldn't matter. My current question is rotation. I see no arrow on the pump or pulley but from what I know on roller pumps and how they work, I'm thinking this should be very similar. My guess is that the pump rotates CCW looking at the shaft, am I right? I need to make a mount for my gas engine and need this info. If it is CCW things will be much simpler because the motor can be inline with the pump.

maple flats
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I also need a vacuum regulator. Some have suggested my pump might be 75CFM, others 30 CFM. IT may be something else completely. What regulator and where should I get it? Can I make one? Years ago my brother made a vacuum pump out of an old refrigeration unit and made his own regulator, is it feasable to make my own? I need to keep my vac at 18-19", I have a Zero vac tank and believe the max is 20"

maple connection
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
HI, Dave
You are correct. Its ccw Mine is a alamo 50 I think. The pump is 4 3/4' wide
I use a 8hp honda to run it. A 5 hp would work but, It works pretty hard and sucks alot of gas. I used a 2" pulley on the 8hp and run it just over idle.
I set the regulator about 17.5 to 18" and never had a problem. I did turn up the oilers and that helped keep the pump cooler, I have a oil reclaimer. I do know if the oilers are not working in acouple of hour the pump will be toast:( I bought a regulator so I'm not sure if you can build one. I also use a thermostat for my dads exhaust barn fans. I hooked the thermostat up to an extension cord and hook it into the on/off switch on the gas engine when the outside temp gets below your set point the pump shuts off. Its a extra saftey!!
Kevin

maple flats
01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
My pump is also about 4.75 wide, inside the end plates, 10" diameter. On the regulator my brother made all I remember is he had a weight suspended to hold a valve or seal closed, to regulate he just found the right weight. He was running 1 milking machine and I think he had 13 maybe 14" vac, first for 1 cow and then for 2 goats, or maybe the other way around. I don't remember what it looked like, only the weight. If what you suggest is good, I might run a 1.5" pulley on the 5 hp motor. If it works too hard I will get a larger engine. Hope to get 1-2 seasons from this. Next year I plan to add an RO. The following year I might get a maple vacuum pump and a releaser rather than the dairy pump. Need to make some money before I invest much more.

maple connection
01-04-2011, 06:44 PM
I think you will be o.k. with 1 1/2" pulley on a 5 h.p. There is different kinds of regulator. Theres one you slide the weight out on the lever which seals a ball, the further you push the weight out the higher the vacuum. Or the one that you are talking about were you can add weigh to the valve. Both of them work fine.

maplemat1
01-04-2011, 08:56 PM
dave have one set up on 5.5 honda will give you a pilley size tommorrrow pump is in the sugarhouse .sounds like you have a 40 plus alamo.

NH Maplemaker
01-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Dave, I was at Bascom the other day and Sam was showing me a new regulator that they are now carrying. It's looks like what you are describing. They don't show it in the 2010 catalog. I think he said it was around $78.00 ! Jim L.

maple flats
01-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't care which type it is IF I have to buy one. Dependability and constancy is the most important. After that price is a consideration. I'll see if anyone has one at Verona.

Dennis H.
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I made my own vac regulator, I used either a 1 1/4" or 1" checkvalve that is used for wells.

I took the spring and nut off the checkvalve and found some heavier springs and used a bolt with a nut welded to the very end so that it can be threaded onto the checkvalve.
You can see this is the pic, it just doesn't have the spring there.

To adjust the vac level I just turn the wing nut down to compress the spring more. Works great.

maple flats
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Looks exactly like what I want. I'll get one and get started. I like it. Thanks,
Dave

Dennis H.
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I used the 1 1/4" on the Sp22 because it had 1 1/4" fittings on it but I believe I could get away with 1". It doesn't open much when the vac has reached its vac level that I want and it only whistles very softly, so there isn't much air moving thru it.

The $$ difference between the two isn't much but when funds are limited every $ counts.