PDA

View Full Version : Beer Kegs

Amber Gold
01-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm looking at purchasing some beer kegs. Is there any concern with getting the beer smell out of them and if so, how do you? I should be looking at them this weekend.

Thanks.

steam maker
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
buy them all...... if u dont want them ill take them :D.. all i did was hit them with the hot water washer, a couple times and mine smelled fine. gettin the "bung" out was fun... only part i didnt like about them was i put syrup in them and plugged them with plumbers test plugs. when i opened one u could smell the rubber. so it just so happens im workin at a job that has stainless dairy fittings so i got a bunch of ferrels, gaskets,caps,and clamps. cut the bungs off and welded the ferrels on. hopefully fixed. anyway buy them or get them for me:lol:

highroadsyrup
01-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I used a cap full of bleach and filled with water - left for a few hours then drained and rinsed, no smell. Let me know if there is more than you need, I'm looking for a few more.

tuckermtn
01-04-2011, 04:41 AM
you can also use the sterilizer that is available at homebrew stores- but hot water- then a bleach- then rinse is just as good.

Amber Gold
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if I end up selling any.