PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Design Help

kringvermont
05-07-2005, 08:48 AM
I,m looking for help and advice on plans for a 24" x 33" three section pan to fit on the old barrel arch my father-inlaw just gave me. I have found a person who make tig welded S.S pans. What I would like to end up with is a pan like the leader 1/2 pint, but would like to have it made with draw offs on both sides and with a float box(boxes) to be able to reverse flow so that down the road if I want I could use the pan in line with a flue pan on a 2x4 or 2x6 arch. I'm new at this sugaring bug and have used a 24"x24" flat pan on a cinder block arch with around 25 taps for the past 3 years making 4-5 gallons per year. I have access to a ton of really nice older trees with great southern exposure and for the time being just want move up to 35-40 taps and want to speed up my boiling time. Like I said I might want to have a flue pan made in the future and it would be nice to be able to use the 24"x33' as a syrup pan. Any and all advice would be great.
Thank You

WF MASON
05-08-2005, 05:07 AM
It would be hard to say down the road just what kind of flue pan you'd be connecting your new front pan to , raised or dropped , canadian or american made , so the point of putting extra work into it by adding float boxes now , I'd have them added when the time comes. Also when you reach that time to go bigger , if your pan has had a couple hot suppers(cooked) you might not want to use it then.
If the pan is a three section , your section width is 8'' less materal , four section is 6''wide- 4 sections x 6''wide = 24'' wide pan.
Use thin gauge stainless 20 or 22 ga.
Unless the barrel arch is in really good shape , really good , I'd have the pan made 36'' long to fit a six foot arch , and have your friend build a box arch to fit it. Good luck.

Maple Flats
05-08-2005, 06:54 AM
WF Mason is absolutely right. Follow his suggestions and you won't go wrong.

kringvermont
05-08-2005, 08:17 AM
WF Mason Thanks for the advice. Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. You say add the float boxes when and if I add a flue pan and to go with four sections not three? Also if I have the pan made 36' long and let it overhang off the front of the 33" long barrel arch will that be Ok?
Thanks again for the help

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Might want to check at Bascoms or call them. You might be able to pick up a nice 2x3 stainless syrup pan with drawoff boxes already on it for $200 to $ 400. This would make it much easier if you ever decided to get a flue pan and go to a 2x6 or a 2x8.

Mike
05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Kevin, Now that you have the bug why not go all out and get your 2x6 now!! I was listening to the WOKO flea market this morning and a guy, I think he was in middlebury has a fairly new 2x6 with holding tanks and what ever else you'll need for around $2300........Like they say, once you have the bug you'll grow......Good luck to you and welcome to the mad mad world of sugaring.......... 8O 8O

sweetwoodmaple
05-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Kevin,

I might have some 2 x 6 pans to sell in the next few days if an evap deal goes through. Would make you a good deal if you are interested in buying a used arch to go with them.

Brian

WF MASON
05-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Kevin,
it sounds like you are going to use the arch you have , you should make the pan to fit it.33''so it would sit close to flat on the arch. As far as three or four sections I don't know that it makes a huge difference in the quality of the syrup, others would say it would. With the three section you feed the rear corner from your preheater box (6''Wx8''Dx24 1/2''L) , with the four section you use a long pipe and feed the front corner from your preheater box.You put two nipples on the preheater box with the four section, so you can move your long pipe back and forth to reverse your flow, if you must. Its no big deal either way. Your friend can make the pan in sections, three or four, or he can make the main pan , then tac in the partitions.
If your friend works at shop that uses alot of stainless , the 316 or 316L, if you can find it, is a grade of stainless that is alot more acid friendly and costs only a few bucks more , I'd tell him to use that.
Good luck.