PDA

View Full Version : Cost of forced air grates

Father & Son
05-04-2005, 07:45 PM
What are the cost of brand new forced air grates for a Leader 2x6.

Thanks,
Chase (Son)

sweetwoodmaple
05-04-2005, 07:48 PM
The wider evaporators do have special wood saver grates, but not for the 2 x 6.

They are just the standard grates.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Leader does make grates for a 2' wide evaporator now. They are 18" long, so you have to take firebrick and build up a wall aproximately 6" from the front of the arch and this helps to keep the heat off of the front of the arch and the airtight door if you have one of those. At first, I didn't like this idea, but after thinking about it, I think it is trememdous. This way you can cut your wood 6" shorter and in the long run you would use less wood also besides keeping the heat off of the arch front. They came out with these about a year ago. I will probably go to a set for mine if I ever burn up the grates I have. :D

WF MASON
05-05-2005, 05:25 AM
You can make thoes grates by using channel iron(3'' or 4'' x 1/4''or 3/8''thick) and drilling holes every few inches,weld a pc of flat bar to cap the channel each end, use pvc pipe, like 1/2'', that will fit through each hole to block it, then fill the channel with refactory cement , when you fire it the pvc burns out. You now have forced air grates for $15 bucks each.

sweetwoodmaple
05-05-2005, 05:38 AM
Great idea on home made grates - thanks!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Bill,

That sounds like a great idea. Have you ever seen it done and if so, how long do they last??

brookledge
05-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Probably mild steel will work for forced air set up. But I remember trying to use heavy angle iron on my 2X6 that was not forced air and they sagged from the heat and weight. That is why they use cast iron it will hold up to the heat much better. Also if you don't have forced air and you have a ash pit make sure that the ashes don't build up to the grates because they won't be able to get cool air to them.
Keith