PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut

Tim Wagoner
01-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok how many of you have ever tried tapping black walnut trees for their sap? I found out about it not long ago and went out on my place to look for the walnut tree. I knew I had some but did not realize just how many I have on my place. Just wondering if anyone has done this? Maple tapping in Kentucky (south western) could have started this past week but I am running way behind:mad: this year and am hoping to tap my trees on the 5th or 6th.:D I am installing new main line tubbing (taking way longer then I thought) I did tap some of the walnut trees and have boiled the sap down. It is a very good and sweet tasting syrup that has a slight nutty after taste. It is really good but the bad part is the sap runs the same time as my maple. So that causes a problem.

3rdgen.maple
01-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I have alot of black walnut trees on my land and I never thought of tapping a single one. I consider them too valuable to drill a hole in them. Last I checked the wood value of the was outstanding. But I am curious as to what the sap to syrup ratio is.

Fred Henderson
01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I have alot of black walnut trees on my land and I never thought of tapping a single one. I consider them too valuable to drill a hole in them. Last I checked the wood value of the was outstanding. But I am curious as to what the sap to syrup ratio is.

The tap root is worth as much as the tree is. That root is used in making custom gun stocks.

3rdgen.maple
01-02-2011, 12:51 AM
You would be spot on Fred. Had a very large one blow down a few years ago. Ended up selling the trunk roots and all to some wood broker. It was good money for that alone.

peacemaker
01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
i saw in lehmans they sell hickory and poplar syrups any try any of them

highland03
01-30-2011, 05:54 PM
i saw in lehmans they sell hickory and poplar syrups any try any of them
hickory syrup is made from boiling the bark from "shag bark" hickory and adding sugar. Maybe the same for poplar?

VA maple guy
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I taped four Walnut trees and made about 1 pint of syrup. The sugar in the sap is pretty
low, it tested at 1.2%. I got a jelly like substance around the edge of the pan. I don't
know what it is. The syrup tastes good but verry different than maple.
Gerry

Goggleeye
02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
The tap root is worth as much as the tree is. That root is used in making custom gun stocks.
Is anyone out there aware of a contact or company name for the buyers of the walnut taproots? We have a handful of large walnut that were uprooted in a storm.

Thanks

Mark

MikeV
02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
sorry wrong post- removed