PDA

View Full Version : Finisher

Mark
01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
The for sale section is still closed so I hope it is ok to put it here. D&G finisher listed on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Finisher-maple-syrup-evaporator-2x6-D-G-oil-fired-/110630773005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c21ba10d

bigtreemaple
01-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I currently have a 3X12 oil fired rig and have been wondering if adding a finisher like this would make sense as a way to increase boiling capacity. I would probably replace my current syrup pans with a flue pan to make all flue on the 3x12. Any opinions appreciated.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2011, 07:23 AM
That would make a nice evaporator if someone could find some cheap pans raised flue pans. It has everything including nice hood other than pans. Probably could sell the finishing pans for a good price and use the money towards pans.

mapleack
01-06-2011, 07:56 AM
I currently have a 3X12 oil fired rig and have been wondering if adding a finisher like this would make sense as a way to increase boiling capacity. I would probably replace my current syrup pans with a flue pan to make all flue on the 3x12. Any opinions appreciated.

Yes you could, but with oil being too expensive as is and unpredictable you'd be better off buying a small RO.

briansickler
01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

That would be like having a 3 x 16 with only 3 x 4 syrup pan. Maybe someone has some input as to if 12 sq ft of syrup pan would keep up with 3 x 12 of flue pan.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-07-2011, 04:38 AM
We used a 2x4 propane fired finisher with our wood fired 4x12 since about 1962. I stopped using the finisher only when I went to an RO 2 years ago. One of the reasons for its use was to increase capacity. Our setup was with a standard evaporator, not a super-size flue pan. We tried to draw into the finisher at about 2-3 degrees shy of syrup. filtered through a flat filter and pre filter at this point to reduce some of the niter in the final product. I now use the finisher to hold syrup before putting it through a filter press. When I am alone in the sugar house it allows me to choose when to run the press (usually after the wife gets home from her day job:D).

Mark
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I decided to keep it and hook it back up. I had it set up as continuous flow and it has it's own float box. It acts like the last pan on the big evaporator but has it's own heat source so I can turn it off quick for pan changes. The big one burns woodchips so pan changes are a pain without the finisher. I have not been using it because I wanted to cut out the oil usage but I also cut out some of my sleep.

After a few pan changes I have to change the pan before it. On the Vermont maple tour there was a guy that was able to reverse the pans on the big rig every time he changed the finisher pan. He said it really limited the niter in the big evaporator.

I have to change the last pan about every 100 gallons of syrup and have had to change 6 times in a day. What do the large producers do?

A couple pictures are on this link.
http://s1002.photobucket.com/home/danielsonsugarbush#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16