PDA

View Full Version : New 12 X 20 Sugar Shack in Missouri going up!

Goggleeye
12-31-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, with maple season only about 2 weeks away, I thought it was getting high time to build my sugar shack:D. 2 Years of makeshift shelters and rain every weekend I tried to cook was wearing at me.
I have several questions.

1. The shack will have 2 sections 10 X 12 with a loft over the one section for the 300 gallon bulk tank. How sturdy does this loft need to be? It's pole barn type construction, 6 X 6 posts. I was planning to laminate 2 2 X 10's to make the 12' beams the loft joist will hang on, and then to use 2 X 8's on 16" centers as the joist, with a 1" rough-cut hickory floor. Is this design sturdy enough, or do I need to beef it up a bit?

2. What will be the best way, without a hood, to vent the steam? Do I really need a cupola or could I vent it with openings at the eaves?

I would've built it this summer, but I was busy working on the barn & fence for the goats and horses that we got before we had a barn, and the chickens that we got before we had a chicken house, etc, etc. Wife made me swear I wouldn't get pigs or any other animals till I had their shelter and fencing built!:lol: I tell her I'm more efficient under pressure.

Sugarmaker
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Well you would have a ton plus weight in the 300 gallon tank. I have a 10 foot span for the floor in my sap storage area. Its 16 wide and 10 long. I did add extra support where the floor joists rest. I have rough cut 2 x 8 floor joist and 1 inch rough cut hemlock flooring. I have 3 posts under the 16 foot distance. I have a 400 and 350 gallon tank up there plus room for another 250 gallon if needed.
Hope you can pull this off in a short time:)

Chris

Groves
01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Good on ya, Mark!

Nothing like last minute to make it interesting.

Groves
01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm finally buying a roll of tubing, Mark. Any difference in shipping from the different vendors in your experience?

Is it true that you can use those stainless spouts year after year without microbe worries? I guess the break even point is 3 years without factoring in the cleaning/storing?

Goggleeye
01-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Good on ya, Mark!

Nothing like last minute to make it interesting.

Here's what's really going to make it interesting. Sap hauler #4 is due Jan 17. However, I may be able to use this to my advantage, as I'm taking 2 weeks sick leave to help out! (Or maybe cook sap;). She probably won't feel up to firing the evaporator for a few days there!:lol:)

As far as the shack goes, I'm just a few hours of work away from putting the metal on the roof. My brother spent the last 2 days here helping me out.

I went with a 4 x 10 12 foot beams to hang 2 X 8 10 foot loft joist. Hope it holds the 275 gallon tote when its full of sap.