PDA

View Full Version : Saps Running!!

Tapmealot
12-31-2010, 08:16 PM
saps running up here in vermont with the recent warm up. tapped my tester tree the other day for the fun of it and checked it tonight and she was running:)

Goggleeye
12-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow, I thought I was almost jumping the gun here in SE Missouri. No test taps, but I plan on getting most of mine set by the end of next weekend. Long range forecast (hope it's close) is calling for a good week of highs around 30. Should prime the trees well for a flood of sap middle of January. Can't wait. Made 125 drops tonight watching the classic - A Christmas Story.

spud
01-01-2011, 03:31 AM
How much sap have you gotten so far on your test hole? Looks like you might get more tomorrow. Could you let us know what you get in all before it freezes up in a few days? PMRF averaged 5 gallons per tap on the first week of Jan in 2007. I always thought it might be worth tapping early just to catch an early run in January. Where are you located in Vermont? I grew up in Underhill and sugared there and in Berkshire before moving to Alaska. I can't wait to move back and sugar again. Good luck to you this season and Happy New Year.

Mike

Tapmealot
01-01-2011, 06:46 AM
spud- im located in georgia not to far away from underhill and berkshire. il let you all know how much i get it should run pretty good today im going to also test the sugar content in it eventhough im sure its pretty low being so early

rob

spud
01-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Do you have pipeline with vac? What are you using for spouts? Thank you for keeping us all informed on your early tapping. It looks like rain today for you. I used to get a lot of very good runs while it was raining. I have been meaning to ask Dr. Tim if he has ever done any research on sap runs while raining. Rain must thaw the branches faster or something. Hope you have a great year.

Mike

Tapmealot
01-01-2011, 03:29 PM
so after all day with one tap it ran and gave about 1/2 gal of sap and the sugar content was about 1%. not bad for it being soo early in the year itl get better come sugaring time

spud
01-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Hey Tapmealot,

Did you get the half gallon of sap on Friday? I know it went to 50+ today in your area. If you get time can you let me know what you total for Friday,Saturday and Sunday. I assume you are using a bucket and not tubing on this test hole. It looks like your temps are going to drop on Sunday.

Mike

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Spud,
When it rains, the barometric pressure is usually lower. That creates a greater pressure differential between the atmosphere and the inside of the tree, thus it is easier for the tree to push out sap. Result: Gathering in the rain:)

spud
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Thank you for the info. Are you doing any test holes now in your area? I hope you have a great 2011.

Mike

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
No test holes here. I'll wait for the real thing. Sometime the latter part of Feb. I will start drilling as I put up new laterals and I'll watch the long range forecast. When it looks promising, we will go for it. We can get our 4000 done in about 4 days and I like a couple of days to run vacuum and do leak patrol before the stuff really starts to fly.