PDA

View Full Version : pricing tubing

collinsmapleman2012
12-31-2010, 04:45 PM
so, in looking at tubing systems i figured out price per foot for tubing and wire, felt i should pass it on.
CDL Rapitube: $.75 per foot plus $.23 per foot for side strapping
Leader 30P: $.32 per foot plus $.05 for side ties
Black Mainline: $.30 per foot plus $.05 for side ties.
the prices on 30p and black plastic from leader catalog, include 12 ga. wire. i will look at other manufacturers and local tubing distributors later.
hope this helps and saves time for someone

maple flats
01-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm trying the Rapi-Tube method with black and 30P. My black dry line was put up with no support wire and today I'm putting up a 3/4 30P branch line without no wire. If it fails I will be hanging wire later and tying in a hurry. I have the wire and ties ready. The experiment is on 500', 1" black dry line, about a 250' section of 1" black dry and maybe 400-500' 3/4 30P branch line. Time will tell if this was a good idea or a poor chioce. I am getting the Rapi-strap, for now I have wire sideties and medium tension. When I get the Rapi-strap I'll increase the tension.

maple flats
01-01-2011, 07:23 AM
I was also thinking, in a portion I might use wire side ties with something at the pipe to spread the pressure exerted by the side tie.

Brian Ryther
01-01-2011, 08:12 AM
you can do much better on the black if you go to a plumbing supply. I am curently paying $.17/ft

tuckermtn
01-01-2011, 11:32 AM
yes- just bought 3/4" for $.14 per foot in 400ft rolls...

markcasper
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
The folks over at Leader tend to shun black pipe though.

Cardigan99
01-01-2011, 03:34 PM
The folks over at Leader tend to shun black pipe though.

Yeah, it's not profitable for them :)

markcasper
01-01-2011, 03:44 PM
It would be 2 springs ago this May. There was a Leader tubing installation seminar in the area and they really slammed the 30p wet line, black pipe dry line concept. They told of all the problems you'd have because of mixing materials.

Brian Ryther
01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
They told of all the problems you'd have because of mixing materials.[/QUOTE]

Can you elaberate? I have a lot of Black dry / 30p wet. I do not think I have any problems. But I would like to know if I am missing something.

markcasper
01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes, I can elaborate. I have not gotten into the wet/dry thing YET.....We were advised not to mix the two because the black and 30p do not stretch the same in cold and hot weather. He said you could likely have big problems with breakage of PVC manifolds where the black has no give, but the 30 p does. He told of several instances where all the manifolds in a bush were cracked/broke because of not using all the same kind of tubing.

I would have to think this is the same at all Leader tubing seminars??? This was the younger dude from Leader giving the seminar, Brad G.

I am pretty much scared of using any more black b/c of this, even though I have a bit of a problem why you couldn't use it for dry line in longer spans of manifoldless areas.

sugarstone
01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
It would be 2 springs ago this May. There was a Leader tubing installation seminar in the area and they really slammed the 30p wet line, black pipe dry line concept. They told of all the problems you'd have because of mixing materials.

My existing setup is 3.25in. WET (30P) and 3.5in DRY (black potable water). I wasn't going to spend the extra $$$ on 30p for my dry line as it seldom carries sap. I also don't use the PVC manifolds (more $, and didn't like how rigid the system would be). Good thing as this past fall we had two big wind events which resulted in broken side-ties, broken mainline wire because of trees down. PVC manifolds would have been cracked.

The 30p holds alot better that the potable pipe. I have six 3.5in connectors apart. No connectors in the 30p wet line apart. Looking into better clamps. Next time I'll try to walk-in longer sections of pipe when running mains to reduce fittings.

I use tees and whys. Went stainless for some of the "whys" but next time I think I'am going with all tees. Too much $$ for 1in.X3.25in.X3.25in stainless whys.

Thad Blaisdell
01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
My existing setup is 3.25in. WET (30P) and 3.5in DRY (black potable water).

For the taps you have why did you go so big on the pipe? I dont know anyone else that uses pipe that big for that many taps.

sugarstone
01-02-2011, 07:15 PM
For the taps you have why did you go so big on the pipe? I dont know anyone else that uses pipe that big for that many taps.

was recommended by a Leader rep. I am planning on going to 4000 taps one of these years. He said this size would be fine until then.
Chose to oversize (more $$$) our vac pump as well..7.5hp SIHI.

sugarstone
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM

woooo, jeepers....

make that 2.25in wet and 2.5in dry. I bet that got a few wondering eh??

Brokermike
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I think the problem is the PVC manifolds, they're expensive and they break. There are better alternatives for sure

markcasper
01-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Could you list them here?

Brokermike
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM
If I recall there are some great pictures on Jason Grossman's photobucket, also on Maplecrest's. There have also been lots of discussion on the topic. A great thread exists on the most recent Bascom's seminar.