PDA

View Full Version : leasing/renting sugaring woods

ctjim
12-31-2010, 07:05 AM
i have a line on a piece of property that already has a sugaring camp on it, not sure the condition of the building, but its right next to a friends property and they said there has been a guy around who has said he bought the equipment from the owner, and has been taking it away. my thoughts are hes scrapping it. how do you other producers go about setting up a rental or lease agreement? i was figuring $.55/tap? but since its close to the season i'm not sure i would be able to get tubing up in time, or replace the exsisting tubing. planning on calling the land owners family this upcoming week as he is elderly.

shane hickey
12-31-2010, 08:45 AM
I lease almost all my woods and I pay 80 cents a tap on a five year contract, this helps on paying property taxes, and from logging off the woods which happens quite often. I'm not sure but if he is moving the equipment out the logs might be next? I would talk to him asap buy whats left just tell him that you'll give him a set price on the whole shanty selvage what you can sell the rest or trade it in on tubing.

shane

maple connection
12-31-2010, 09:06 AM
I leased a wood that had about 1200 taps on tubing. The owner wanted $1.00 per tap. He also wanted the tubing kept in good condition so what ever I put in new that cost was subracted from the rent price. Worked great for the both of us.

220 maple
12-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I posted my renting method before and some screamed that I am way over paying, some thought I had lost my mind. And I would reply to that You have to have a mind to loose one and the book is still open on that. I lease on the shares and I sell there share wholesale when I sell my wholesale syrup. This is in the 5 year written lease. For every six gallons of syrup made from there woods I get 5 they get one. I made 271.5 gallons from 867 taps last spring. When I sold their syrup they got over 1300 dollars. They was very happy. They understand that the wholesale prices is not the same every year. The person I sell the wholesale syrup always pays good because I deliver and my syrup is cleaned up and ready to be bottled.

Mark 220 Maple

markcasper
12-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Believe it or not, there are some on here that still think .30 a tap is too much and the landowner is raping the sugarmaker. And especially since the landowners property tax bill is .30 a tap or more.

220 maple
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
MarkCasper,
I'm sure they are the ones who think I've lost it for paying that much per tap. If I could make a gallon of syrup per taphole I would be thrilled to pay what ever it works out per tap. Example 867 taps = 867 gallons of syrup divided by 6 equals their share or 144.5 gallons. my share is 722.5 gallons. 144.5 times 11 =1589.5 pounds of syrup. Sold wholesale at 2.75 a pound = 4371.12 dollars. 4371.12 divided by 867 taps = 5.04 per tap. I would be proud to pay them that much because my share from their woods would be 21855.63 dollars. I guess I should pay them 50 cent a tap. 433.50 dollars. My share would have been 25793.25 dollars. If I couldn't make it with 21 thousand I don't deserve to make it at all. My motto is treat the landowner fair. they will help you look for, run lines to, and tap trees, for the reward of money. It's just a rumor but money and maple syrup makes the world go round.

Mark 220 Maple

Thad Blaisdell
12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
The more taps there are the more its worth per tap. Power available....more per tap..... water available....more per tap. For me 2000 taps with power and water available to be put in.... $1.00 per tap or more depending on how close it is.

maple flats
12-31-2010, 04:39 PM
In 2008 I paid $.40, in 2009 I paid $.45 and in 2010 I paid $.50. For this season I'm thinking of paying $.75. I have always set my own price and have never had a landowner who seemed to think it was too low. In fact, most ask if I am paying too much (honest!!!). Last year I had 400 taps on my rented bush, this year I will have approx. 550. Last year gravity, this year vacuum.
In the years since I started (2003) I have had 4 different rented bushes, I now only have one, but I have been the one to stop, just because of # of taps vs. miles round trip to collect, as I got bigger bushes I cut the little ones. I have never left on bad terms.

shane hickey
12-31-2010, 05:34 PM
220 maples I like your thinking about treating land owners with respect.
I have found that you pay what you want as long as you can make a profit?
The more you pay the better the chances that you''ll get more woods and get rid of the compition (because you pay more) The happier you can make them, more then likely they will renew their contract with you. As long as both of you are happy, thats the best in both worlds. In michigan the average is 40 cents I pay more so I can monopolize the indrustrie where I live.
shane