PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 pan configuration

warners point
12-28-2010, 08:46 PM
This is my first year making syrup and am having a 2x6 arch built by a local blacksmith. Now I have to figure out what to do for pans. I know I can't afford a drop/raised flue back pan. Should I have a 2x6 flat pan with two dividers or should I have a 2x2 syrup pan with a 2x4 back pan with two dividers? What size preheater pan should I have to sit on top? What can I expect for gph? 25?

Bucket Head
12-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Warners,

I would go with the two pan set-up. This way whens funds allow you can add flues and partitions to the pans down the road. I did it this way- my rig was originally just two flat pans. Its hard to say about the gph, too many variables, but with a good fire, good wood, undivided attention with proper firing, and favorable weather (no wind, rain) 25gph is possible. I never had a preheater pan so I don't know what to suggest there. The bigger the better I would say.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
12-28-2010, 11:24 PM
25 is pretty high Im thinking. My old rig was a oddball 2x7 with all flats on it and the best days I would get 15 tops. But I would go with the 2 pan setu for all the reasons Bucket Head stated.