PDA

View Full Version : Labeling for Sale

Lazarus
12-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips about labeling syrup for sale? I am planning to include the name & address of the farm, the grade, nutrition info, etc. What about shelf life? I have seen some local bottles here in Ohio that appear to be putting a three year shelf life on them? This would be for glass bottles.

-Lazarus
Mason 3x2 evaporator and needing to upgrade!

maple flats
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
It depends on what your state requires. In NYS we must have the name of the producer, size, grade. I have not seen any labeled for shelf life. Might be your states requires it. BE careful, glass is good for a long time, but plastic would be more like 6 or maybe 9 months. It loses with time in plastic jugs. Besides labeling it "pure maple syrup" I only put what is required, except I have the phone # so they can get more.

shane hickey
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
For Michigan, I put my company name, address, phone number. Grade is an option, and I never seen shelf life for maple syrup in the stores in Michigan.
I guess I always thought that syrup is like honey it never goes bad as long as it's in glass. I custom boil for people and the inspector wants to have my labels on the bttle before it leaves the shanty. Weather they take it off is there promblem. Some of them take it off to think that they made the syrup.
( I don't mind)