PDA

View Full Version : arch paint

nmerritt
04-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Anyone paint their arch. I'm looking at brushing the arch clean then putting a fresh coat of paint on it. Any recomendations on what to use.

hillside maple syrup
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
i have never painted an arch. but i paint my wood stove in the house every year. im not sure of the name,but there is a paint especially for wood stoves. seems like that would work on an arch also.

Maple Flats
04-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Ditto, but I do use stove black on my woodstove. I have used the liquid and paste forms with equal results. Both do have a fairly strong odor when first fired up so you would want to boil some water in the pans to fire it so the smell does not get in the sap next year. Then reclean the pans.

brookledge
04-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I have used the high temp black spray paint made by rustoleum. It works good. Unless your metal is getting cherry red it should hold up well. I think its good to about 1200 degrees.
Keith

nmerritt
04-29-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the tips, my arch has tin sides, like most. That is what concerns me with rust. Has anyone had luck painting the sides as well?

brookledge
04-30-2005, 05:42 PM
On my previous arches that were galvanized sheet metal I would spray over the areas that the heat burned the galvanize off with high temp paint. And I would repeat it as needed. Once the galv. coating is gone the sheet metal will continue to rust all summer long, especially in the high humid summer days. Even if the paint burns off next season it keeps things from rusting. It help my old arches to stand up well.
Keith