PDA

View Full Version : How do I run sap buckets in series?

jayka
12-27-2010, 06:17 AM
I've been syruping for 3 or 4 yrs. and would like to run 2 buckets in series. The tap line from the tree would go into the lid of the first bucket and I need to run a line from the side of this bucket, near the top to the lid of a second bucket below. My question is how do I secure the line in the upper side of the first bucket? What kind of glue? Would PVC glue work? Is there a better way?

whalems
12-27-2010, 07:07 AM
Why would you be running them in series? If you need more storage why not use a bigger bucket or barrel? Or run individual lines/taps to each bucket?

Jim Brown
12-27-2010, 07:30 AM
The series thing puzzles me also but if you wrap a rubber band around the tubing a number of times it won't pull back though the hole

my two cents
Jim

Ausable
12-27-2010, 07:44 AM
----Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha --Better Not. Jay I use coffee cans and lids for sap pails and the neighbors drive by and stare and think I'm over the edge and tapping coffee trees. The only reason I'm still allowed to roam around - is that all the Institutions are full -- lol -- If I start hooking my coffee cans in series I'm sure they will make room for me -- but - thanks for the idea. Love the way your brain works and You will fit right in with most of us on this site...... Whether You tap in series or not - have a great year making maple in 2011 ----- Mike

maple connection
12-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I think your going to have alot of headaches trying to make it work in series.
Buy yourself a plastic 15,30 or 55 gallon barrell. Then you don't have to worry about them over flowing.

Ausable
12-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Jayka -- All my kidding aside -- If You are serious -- The Guys are giving you good ideas - Just use plastic tubing spiles to tap with and attach tubing to each spile and run to a 5 gal. plastic bucket on the ground - with a lid to keep out debris.... be easier then what you are thinking of doing -- Mike

Jim Brown
12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
jayka: And if you use plastic buckets with lids DON'T PUT THE HOLE IN THE LID OF THE BUCKET. Put the hole on the side of the bucket close to the top and the water will not collect on the lid and run in the bucket!

My two cents
Jim

Haynes Forest Products
12-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Jayka You will get more power if you run them in Parallel:lol: Whalems has the right idea. Why would you run into one bucket and then out into another?? If its to save on tubing you will spend it all on aggravation. Now as far as sealing the tubing into the bucket enter on the side as far up as possible and make the hole smaller so you have to cut the tube at an angle and force it thru the hole sealing it tight.

3rdgen.maple
12-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Im taking a stab here but I bet he is holding sap in the buckets longer than he can get to them before they run over. So putting them in series he will have less on the ground and more in the pails. When you put those tubing into the pail from the tap dont let is sit down in the pail more than necessary. The tree will suck that sap back out the pail if your leaving them overnight. Seen it happen a few times.

Sugarmaker
12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Maybe drill a 5/16 hole in the bucket number 1 near the top and insert a 5/16 spile into the hole with a piece of tubing attached to the next lower bucket.
GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS!
Chris

Bucket Head
12-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I have two barrels in series at two of my collection sites. I mount one barrel 4-5" higher than the the other and run a 5/16 piece of tubing between them. I drill a small enough hole (maybe 7/16" ?- get a drill gauge and put a piece of tubing in it and then go with a size or two down from that) in the side of the higher barrel near the top so the 5/16 tube has to be forced in a little. That is a tight enough seal that it does not leak. I also did it similiar when we collected with plastic buckets setting on the ground. I drilled a hole in the bucket lid so I did'nt ruin the bucket. Again, it was a tight fit and no rain water got in. I would also make sure the pail had a slight lean to it so water could not pool on the lid. If the ground at the base of the tree did not already have a slant to it, I would take a stick or thin flat stone and put in under the edge of the pail so it had the slant. We did it this way for years and did not have a problem.

Steve

maple flats
12-28-2010, 06:39 AM
I have a bunch of 15 gal bbls for sale. Are you coming to the Verona Conf, I could bring 8 or 10. PM me if interested.

red maples
12-28-2010, 09:15 AM
this one puzzles me but if you really did want to run them in series(first question is why???) because your spending double the money!!! buckets and tubing???? $$$$ Just tubing into 1 container or bucket or what ever.

anyway drill a 5/16 hole or the next smalled and put a spile in it.

jayka
01-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the ideas. The reason for buckets in series is long walk and can't get to the trees often enough. I'll make the first line from the tree water tight in the lid of the first bucket, tap high into the side of this bucket with an airtight side line into the top of the next bucket. I often can't get to the trees more often than every two weeks. In past years I've buried the buckets in snow and the syrup has been fine, but frequent overflows have kept the final quantities down. Thanks everyone. My first post and some great ideas. I appreciate your help.

peacemaker
01-04-2011, 08:13 AM
u still arent making sense if gathering is the problem you are better off running tubing into a main tank burried in snow ...

Ausable
01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Im taking a stab here but I bet he is holding sap in the buckets longer than he can get to them before they run over. So putting them in series he will have less on the ground and more in the pails. When you put those tubing into the pail from the tap dont let is sit down in the pail more than necessary. The tree will suck that sap back out the pail if your leaving them overnight. Seen it happen a few times.

Now that is something to think about and it makes perfect sense. If pressure makes the sap flow - then when the flow stops the tree goes under a vacuum and siphons the sap out of the pail - At first I thought You might be kidding - but - it does make sense...... Now if You tell me this also happens to pails hung from spiles - I might become a non-believer..... Mike

dnap63
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I agree with Peacemaker, with all the effort trying to plumb buckets in a series just run a line into a larger tank. you are still going to have the same amount of walking and sap to haul out (possibly more) but a lot less to go wrong.

Clan Delaney
01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Regarding all the comments about just getting a bigger bucket or tank, I'll bet I know exactly where Jayka is coming from.... the cheapest option is the one you already have. If I already had plenty of buckets and tubing, then finding a way to put them in series is a cheaper option than buying something larger. 'Course, I'm always looking for the cheapest and most effective solution. Unless I'm holding a Home Depot gift card.

As far as how to do the connecting, use the spiles. That's how I've been attaching drop lines to buckets, well, forever (which in my case is only 5 something years). The plastic tree saver or health spouts have small ridges on them. Drill the appropriate sized hole in the upper rim of the bucket and the spout snaps right in.