View Full Version : Impulsonix?

John Burton
04-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Did anyone here use the new impusonix system this year?If so how did it perform. did it really produce lighter syrup?Ive just been looking at them in the catalogs and was interested in any feedback or speculation on their performance.

latewood
05-03-2005, 10:56 PM
I did not see this item in the catalogs. What does it claim to do and what principles are used to help in making lighter grades?

Maple Flats
05-04-2005, 11:00 AM
I have not used one but this injects air into each section of the pans, syrup and flues. They claim the constant turbulance keeps the niter in suspension and not on the bottom where it gets dark and therefor darkens the syrup. I did speak with a guy at the winter conference in Vernon, NY who had made his own and he said it gave much more light grade syrup. If anyone else tries it the air in must be filtered extremely well including a charcoal filter and the air source must be pure to start with, no farm smells, smoke, gas fumes etc. The one I looked at was just a 1/4" piping arrangement in each pan section coming from a manifold which was fed by a fan and the filter set-up. Looks simple. The tubes in the pan have holes drilled in the bottom of it to blow the air down and they looked to be suspended fairly close to the bottom of each section. I priced one from a dealer, don't remember the brand but he wanted $1200 for a 2 x 6 Leader evap. Dominion Grimm also had one but I didn't get their price. I think I will make one sooner or latter.
Maple Flats

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I think Jeremy made his own for a small price compared to what the companies wants for it. He could she more info on the benefits of it. :)

brookledge
05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
At this point the jury is still out as to whether this is considered to be adulteration or not. I believe studies are being done to see if it changes the chemical composition or not. I would hate to spend the money and then have to label the syrup as adultered. I may build one or buy one in a few years after the industry decides.
Keith

mapleman3
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I thought impulsonics was the art of buying maple equipment on impulse without checking out the economics of it first?? isn't that what most of us do?? :wink: :lol:

Al
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Not here in Pumpkin Village. I research every aspect of my intended purchase. 8) :) Weigh each positive and negative input carefully. Do my research on profit liability over an extended period of time. Then ask the wife if I can get it. :lol: :lol: She rarely says No. :wink: Just look at the new compressor in my garage with a couple of new air tools. 8) :D
Take care!

mountainvan
05-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I used a homemade bubbler in my old 2*6,flue pan, not to make syrup lighter but to increase the evap. rate. steamaways and piggybacks both blow air into the sap to get some evap. below boiling temp. it worked ok but the sound fo the blower I used was too loud for me. with adulteration something is added, white sugar, to under density syrup to bring it to standard density. blowing air into sap/syrup is not aldulteration in my opinion. if it is producers who use the steamaways/piggybags are crooks.

Maple Flats
05-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I was thinking about doing it to increase evap. rate when I looked at one at the trade show at VVS in Verona. They said it does little or no improvement in rate, only helps get lighter syrup, and this was one manufacturer talking who was in with the dealer at the booth.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-04-2005, 09:32 PM
Unless you make a lot of syrup where the lightest grade really matters, I don't see how one of these would ever pay for itself for the small producers if you paid the retail price for one. :?