PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock, Vermont John Deere Video

markcasper
12-27-2010, 01:57 AM
I just got a John Deere vintage video from 1957-58. If there are any John Deere nuts here, you probably remember going in the late winter to "John Deere Day", where a program and film was put on by the company with a meal and door prizes by the local dealer. We don't even have that any more, but do remember going every year until about 10 years ago when it was scaled back and then discontinued, at least in my area.

Any way, there was a clip of maple sugaring in Vermont with the JD 420 crawler being showcased. Although I only seen a "40" crawler gathering sap, I have to think the film was taped the spring of 1957, because the 420 wasn't out yet. The following may be of interest:

There were four area producers showcased in the clip. I am guessing on the spelling of the last names, I'm just saying it as it sounded.

Marge Macnawl, clip of gathering sap with a shoulder yoke.

Arthur Maxum farm, showing "blue ribbon oxen" breaking trails and gathering sap, 3 generations.

Harold Eastman farm, showing gathering with horses, 1500 buckets, 500 gallons syrup/18000 gallons of sap per year.

Howard Burns farm, gathering with the 40 JD crawler, 1000 buckets and 125 gallons per year. This farm was featured with a sugarhouse from 1910 with I'd say a 3x12 Leader evaporator in operation, no thermometers, no hydrometers, just a scoop and apron test for sugarin off. It was stated that Howard had been making syrup since 1900 learning from his grandfather. I was thinking 125 gallons from 1000 buckets is not that good.

I am curious if anyone knows any of the family of those mentioned, or if syrup is still made by any of their families. The beginning of the clip told a short history of Woodstock and filmed the beginning from the town square. I assume the 4 producers mentioned were from that general area of Vermont. There was a display of maple sugar in tin boxes and tin cans of syrup, it was really nostalgic. The covers on the buckets were unlike anything i have seen before, with what appeared to be a large rise in the cover in the area over the spout.

Bucket Head
12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Mark,

I was thinking 125 gal. is'nt too good either when I read that!

Sounds like a very interesting video. Is this video for sale from someone? I would think all fans of antique tractors and sugaring would'nt mind seeing it, even if "green" is'nt their favorite color, lol.

Steve

markcasper
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Steve,

The video clip was trying to portray the switch from horses and oxen to more mechanical. They also had an old guy who was grading syrup which was really interesting. They used a pencil and pointed at the various grades saying, if its lighter than this bottle its grade b, lighter than this one, grade a, and if its lighter than that one, its fancy! A little bit off, but nonetheless, I have never seen such an original 50 plus year ancient movie of making syrup.

Before the actual movie began, they had green and yellow "opera" girls singing about makin maple syrup in Vermont. In the backdrop, they had a real 420 crawler with a murale of maple trees and snow covered hills in Vermont. There was a 4 year old little boy who was in awe at the table of maple syrup bottles and sugars next to them. He even managed to snatch a candy from the table. The introduction was about the covered bridges of Vermont.

Yes you can order it from the Two-Cylinder Club, #7 DVD http://www.two-cylinder.com/dvd_offer2.htm

Bucket Head
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks Mark. Its sounds like a great video.

Steve

markcasper
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Steve, Its not that long, probably no more than 10 minutes on maple syrup, but yet they crammed alot into it from tapping, to the bridges and town square, (interesting to see all the 50's vehicles lined on the streets in Woodstock) to the oxen and horses gathering, unloading sap, sugarhouse billowing, firing the evaporator, drawing off and grading.