PDA

View Full Version : Vent on pre heater

lmathews
12-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I am putting a pre heater on this year and am curious as to where the vent should go?Inside the hood,outside the hood,supply side or outlet side?Any help appreciated.
Thanks Lee

danno
12-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I have mine vented at the highest point in my preheater, which just happens to me just as my preheater exits my hood, as I think that is the most common point to experience a vapor lock? But interested to hear what others say. I have a 1/4"? piece of soft copper directing anything coming from the vent directly into my float box. Works well.

Haynes Forest Products
12-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Very good question. First it needs to be on the high side of the heater because if its it on the low side it will push sap out the vent and not the air. You must also have the vent higher than the head tank.WHY because if you dont the fill valve will close and sap will over flow the vent:o

Maplebrook
12-26-2010, 04:17 PM
My vent is similar to Danno's and Haynes, with a ball valve to open occasionally, plumbed with sap tubing and directed back into the float box. The valve takes the worry out of making sure it vents higher than the tank level.

Grade "A"
12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
make sure you put the end of the vent pipe where it will not burn some one if it does blow out steam/hot sap. I put mine back over the top of my sap tank.

lmathews
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
So then it is safe to say I can put the vent outside the hood before the float box at the high point.I plan on the vent running back to the sap tank,or my feed tank sight tube.
Thank you all Lee

Grade "A"
12-26-2010, 06:02 PM
So then it is safe to say I can put the vent outside the hood before the float box at the high point.I plan on the vent running back to the sap tank,or my feed tank sight tube.
Thank you all Lee

Yes, that will work. I put a union in also so I can move the hood easy.

markct
12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
my vent is a the highest point right at the outlet where it comes out to head down to the float box, its simply a hose barb with a piece of 4 seasons 5/16 tubing that goes up to the peak of my metal roof and sticks out under the ridge cap, so any occasional spitting or steam is simply dripped out on the roof safely

Haynes Forest Products
12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
The last thing you want to happen is a big belch of trapped air to blow hot sap into the float box near someone. The smaller the vent the more chance that it will spit like a pissed off viper. Dont go cheap on the vent tube.

MASSEY JACK
12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
I put a couple tees on the highest pipe exiting my preheater hood. I installed a temp gauge in one so I could see how much preheat I was getting and used this to set my damper in the hood. The other tee has a hose barb and I put 1/2" clear hose on it and it goes up high. This is my sight gauge for the sap feed tank. I put marks on it for fluid levels in the tank so I know how much is left to boil and when to stop putting wood in. Jack

mapleack
01-13-2011, 09:20 AM
The smaller the vent the more chance that it will spit like a pissed off viper.

Just saw the above. Darn funny. I think we should start a funniest quote thread in the off topic or sugar inn section.

Sugarmaker
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Sounds like vents at the top win.
We have three at the top and they all vent under the hood and drizzle back into the rear pan. Maybe get 1 gallon per hour through all three vents?
Chris