PDA

View Full Version : any new maple stuff for x-mas?

PARKER MAPLE
12-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Just wondering if any of you out there in the maple world recieved any new shiney maple stuff for christmas. i got a couple of new theremometers, and a gift card for maple stuff.
\M.R/

Tweegs
12-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Sort of…kind of…
We’ll be picking up our brand spankety new evap after the 1st. We didn’t really count it as a Christmas present, but I suppose its close enough.

Other than that, I got a wood stove to put out in the barn. At least now I’ll be able to work on maple stuff out there for extended periods. :D

Flat47
12-26-2010, 08:43 AM
I got a couple cases of custom etched bottles. Very cool.

stoweski
12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Two gift certificates to Bascoms. Can you say 'road trip'? If all goes well I'll head up there to go on a shopping spree. It was easier than getting me what I need since they have no idea what to look for.

Also got a nice maple leaf key chain. Will look good holding the key to the sugar shack!

Hope Santa treated all of you well!

And my wish from the Thanksgiving turkey wishbone is coming true!! Maybe a day late but 7"-14" of the white fluffy stuff. Woo Hoo

Keith

firetech
12-26-2010, 09:39 AM
I received a neon IH tractor clock for the sugarhouse and a moblie office set for the maple buisness they think that the recepts are hard to read after a season on the floor board. A new set of bib to work in I dislike jeans with all the bending, lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months all my pants are loose. All in all a good Christmas.

Brian Ryther
12-26-2010, 11:58 AM
santa brought me a simple sugar maker.

Haynes Forest Products
12-26-2010, 01:26 PM
New carpet for the living room because if I buy one more thing Maple. She does my check book SO she is all knowing all seeing............Dang it you cant hide all the checks that I write to Roth Sugar Bush:o

3rdgen.maple
12-26-2010, 01:38 PM
money orders Haynes no paper trail that way.

maplefrank
12-26-2010, 02:38 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! a digital thermometer and scales........ can't wait to try them!!!!!!!

maple connection
12-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Santa was sweet. He gave me a refractometer and a digital P.H. meter.

red maples
12-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Nah I didn't really ask santa for maple stuff this year!!! I asked him for bee stuff this year so I got 2 hives, and a whole bunch of frames problem is I have to put them all together. and a hive smoker. next year I will ask for more maple stuff maybe a refractometer:)

waysidemaple
12-26-2010, 05:23 PM
Nothing maple related but I did get the money to pay for the buck I had mounted.

Bucket Head
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM
It was'nt really a present, but today I brought home a really beat, broken, poorly repaired, and broken again hay wagon gear that I'm going to mount a bulk tank on. It was free so it had to come home.

Steve

Flat47
12-26-2010, 08:03 PM
It was'nt really a present, but today I brought home a really beat, broken, poorly repaired, and broken again hay wagon gear that I'm going to mount a bulk tank on. It was free so it had to come home.

Steve

Man...How is it that these are never near me?!? I've been looking for cheap running gear for 3 years! Humph...

Oh yeah - good score!

markct
12-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Other than that, I got a wood stove to put out in the barn. At least now I’ll be able to work on maple stuff out there for extended periods. :D

yup a woodstove in the sugarhouse is a great thing, i installed one this year and love it, i can comftorably work out there whenever i feel like it! my gifts were some signs for the sugarhouse from my girlfriend and a couple other friends

mike z
12-26-2010, 09:06 PM
My smart *** brother got me a bottle of syrup. It does look good though.

40to1
12-26-2010, 09:38 PM
My wife bought me a M.F. Mason 2x3 for Christmas. It's great! Excitement is high.

She let me know that it's also a gift advance for my birthday and next Christmas. She was going to get me an Apple iPhone, but I complained that there was not yet any apps that would boil sap.

Bucket Head
12-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Flat47,

I don't know if I would call this thing a good score. I needed a wagon frame, it was offered, so I'll fix it, but its bad..., real bad. Were going to have a lot of hot wrench and MIG welder time into this thing to make it useable again.

Yes, its tough finding decent wagon gears. You would'nt think it would be that tough with all the farms going out of business. There is equipment all over the place but wagons are rarely seen. Keep looking. The gears and tanks I have always came when I least expected them or was'nt actively looking for them.

Spread the word around that your looking for one. The more eyes and ears you have out there working for you the better.

Steve

Bucket Head
12-26-2010, 10:51 PM
40to1,

Congratulations on the new cooker!

Steve

highlandcattle
12-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Our Subaru gas powered engine setup arrived for our vacuum pump from Indianna Vacuum ! One more step to getting up and running with new tubing!

SeanD
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
My wife bought me a M.F. Mason 2x3 for Christmas. It's great! Excitement is high.

She let me know that it's also a gift advance for my birthday and next Christmas. She was going to get me an Apple iPhone, but I complained that there was not yet any apps that would boil sap.

Yeah, congrats on the new evaporator! I actually saw yours when mine was delivered. We had to move it out of the way to get at the stack that came with mine. Sorry about the dings on the side. I lost my grip and it fell off the gate onto the driveway. What a racket! At least you know it's solidly built.:o

Just kidding. It looked good. Enjoy the new equipment. It's a big investment, but it already seems worth it.

Sean

Flat47
12-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Flat47,

I don't know if I would call this thing a good score. I needed a wagon frame, it was offered, so I'll fix it, but its bad..., real bad. Were going to have a lot of hot wrench and MIG welder time into this thing to make it useable again.

Yes, its tough finding decent wagon gears. You would'nt think it would be that tough with all the farms going out of business. There is equipment all over the place but wagons are rarely seen. Keep looking. The gears and tanks I have always came when I least expected them or was'nt actively looking for them.

Spread the word around that your looking for one. The more eyes and ears you have out there working for you the better.

Steve

Those are the kinds of farm projects I love...sparks flying and burning metal! It kills me to see all the stuff I could fix up and use that the scrappers are hauling away. I'll keep looking.

western mainer
12-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I got a Hydrometer and a Canadian drill bit. Thing that will make things that much easier.
Brian

Clan Delaney
12-27-2010, 06:48 PM
This looks like as good a place as any to jump back in after many months gone....

Around here, Christmas is for the kids. Sara and I buy stuff for ourselves and each other all year long. So, we don't give gifts to each other at Christmas. However, this year my brother and sister in law got me the best gift of the year. I think the best gifts are thoughtful, handmade, (and completely unexpected doesn't hurt either).

Go back and check this post (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9065&highlight=ghost) from this past March. My wife now tells me that just 2 weeks later, her sister and husband talked to their neighbor and went and retrieved a piece of that old evaporator, cleaned it up and painted it.

And this is what I got from them for Christmas:

3rdgen.maple
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Thats a cool peice right there Clan. We do the same here at my homestead. No presents are bought for me and who must be obeyed. The gift of watching the kids smile and spending time together is enough for us.

40to1
12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, congrats on the new evaporator! I actually saw yours when mine was delivered. We had to move it out of the way to get at the stack that came with mine. Sorry about the dings on the side. I lost my grip and it fell off the gate onto the driveway. What a racket! At least you know it's solidly built.:o

Just kidding. It looked good. Enjoy the new equipment. It's a big investment, but it already seems worth it.

Sean

Thanks for the laugh...
Good luck with your rig. I'm envious....

Kevin
01-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Well my wife said she was getting me something nice for Christmas but it would be coming a few days late, brand new CDL 400 gallon/hr RO just got delivered today. She did well. Glad she got the maple bug as bad as I did

Farmboy
01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Not for Christmas but today I got my dad to weld up a one hand tubing tool.

peckfarm
01-04-2011, 06:23 AM
Wife got me an ash basket back pack. So much better than running around the woods with 2, 5-gallon buckets full of drops and tools.

Thiems sugarshack
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I got a bag each of leader stubby spouts and check valves as well as a roll of 1/2 mainline and cdl semi rigid tubing