PDA

View Full Version : Filtering larger amounts?

whalems
12-26-2010, 07:19 AM
I am greatly increasing my taps for this season ( from 120 last year to 600+ this year) I have always used cone filters for filtering but don't think they will keep up w/ the bigger evaporator and increased taps. A filter press would be nice but is not in the budget for this season:cry: does anyone have a suggestion on filtering larger amounts w/out a filterpress that is efficient and effective? Thanks for any help on this. Mike

Rhino
12-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Mike, The only way to speed up the filtering process without a filter press would be with flat filters i would think. More surface area means longer time to clog up. Another way to speed things up, is to let your syrup settle out before you reheat and bottle. The thing with flat filters is that you will have to spend some $$$ on a square bottler/canning unit which can be spendy also. Maybe someone on traders will give an idea on what they clamp their flat filters on?

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Whalems,
We always used to keep up with 1500 taps and a 4x12 with cone filters. Filter it hot and use the pre filters. Some people add DE (filter aid) to the syrup before filtering but I never tried it. When we went over 5000 taps, we went to a press.

danno
12-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Multiple cone filters work as well. I have an old 4 cone setup and it works fine drawing off my 3x10. As one cone empties, all the filters from that cone get a hot condensate soak/rinse from the hot water that comes off the hoods.

danno
12-26-2010, 09:44 AM
[Maybe someone on traders will give an idea on what they clamp their flat filters on?[/QUOTE]

Also have a flat filter set up. Flat filter just sits on SS wire mesh that supports the filter/syrup, but allows the syrup to filter down into the canner. I have the SS mesh supported by 4 SS bolts, one in each corner of the canner.

whalems
12-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Ok thanks, I guess I will give the multiple cone filters a try for this year. Thanks again for all your responses. Mike

maple connection
12-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Will one cone filter handle 1 to 2 gallons of syrup per hour.

danno
12-26-2010, 08:04 PM
With clean filter and prefilters, I can get a couple gallons through a cone in 10 minutes. After that the syrup has cooled enough and filters are clogging so that I won't get any more srup through that cone.

Goggleeye
12-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I've found the following works good using cone filters:

1. Out of the evaporator, I filtered using doubled cotton cheesecloth to take out all the big stuff.
2. I let it sit for 2 days in the stainless milk cans, at about 32 degrees, then poured off the top and stopped just as the sediment rich stuff started moving. The cloudy syrup I poured off into another pot.
3. I heated the clean syrup in several stainless pots on my stove and the syrup with sediment in another pot to 219 (I had pulled it off the evaporator at about 218).
4. I then filtered using an 8 qt synthetic felt cone filter (from the maple guys) back into my cleaned stainless milk can. The top of the filter fits perfect around the rim of the can, and before I put the filter in the can, I pushed the bottom up so my filtering area was the shape of a donut. This allowed me to use all the filtering area of the filter. As I poured more through the filter, I pushed/allowed the center to fall into the can, exposing more clean filter surface. I saved the most sediment-laden syrup till last, and didn't have to even rinse my filter but for about every two to three gallons or so. It filtered in less than a minute, and gives syrup that so far, has no sediment.
5. I then poured the filtered syrup back into the stainless pots, heated (if it wasn't still that warm) to 185 - 190, then poured into canning jars and sealed them.

maple connection
12-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks for going threw the steps. I didn't know what to use coming out of the pan. I have a auto-matic drawoff. I will try the cheese cloth and purchase a cone filter.

highlandcattle
12-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Look up "flat filter". A big box(friends use a huge wooden outer box of plywood, inside is stainless. A pump is inside to go to the bottling tank. Large filtering cloths are set on top and this catches all the sediment. Looks totally disgusting but does the job. They use a wringer washer to clean them. When you are able to afford a filter press(on sale every year during open house at a dealers) get one! It is so great!!! Worth every penny. Good luck.

OneLegJohn
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
The evolution of our filter process is as follows. Gravity cone filter (synthetic wool type) for years. About five years ago we purchased a D&G Canner with the mesh screen. It was a big improvement. The synthetic wool filters are 36"X36" and you use prefilter on top. We stack a couple prefilters on eachother and when the top one gets plugged you slide it out. It would be perfect for your operation. Next, we purchased the filter press. It was about the same performance increase with respect to time except, it was crystal clear. I wish I would have purchased the full bank....

mike z
12-27-2010, 09:53 AM
At what point (number of taps) should a guy be thinking it's filter press time?

maple connection
12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks to Highland Hill Syrup for setting me up with pre filters and cone filters. One step closer to making syrup.
Kevin

kiegscustoms
12-27-2010, 02:05 PM
Multiple cone filters work as well. I have an old 4 cone setup and it works fine drawing off my 3x10. As one cone empties, all the filters from that cone get a hot condensate soak/rinse from the hot water that comes off the hoods.

An old timer once told me that when he rinsed his filters he would run hot condensate through it in the same direction as the syrup, catch that in a pot and put it back into the flue pan to save some of the sugars. He would then turn the filter inside out and rinse out the solids. Anyone else heard of that? It almost seems counter productive, but I suppose if the solids are left in the filter and just clean syrup / condensate water is poured into the flue pan it shouldn't hurt anything.

3rdgen.maple
12-27-2010, 08:16 PM
At what point (number of taps) should a guy be thinking it's filter press time?
I have been trying to figure that out since I watched gramps boil when I was like 5. lol
An old timer once told me that when he rinsed his filters he would run hot condensate through it in the same direction as the syrup, catch that in a pot and put it back into the flue pan to save some of the sugars. He would then turn the filter inside out and rinse out the solids. Anyone else heard of that? It almost seems counter productive, but I suppose if the solids are left in the filter and just clean syrup / condensate water is poured into the flue pan it shouldn't hurt anything.
Pretty much what I do except I dip the syrup filter in the flue pan and then turn them inside out to clean in hot water.

maple connection
12-27-2010, 10:29 PM
We used hot piggyback water to soak the sugar sand after we cleaned the filter press. Let it settle out. Dump it threw a cone filter and you would be surprised how sweet sap is ready to be boiled down. It is alot of messing around.

THCPrecision
12-28-2010, 09:34 AM
The way that I clean the cone filters is after they will filter no more I trasfer as much of the syrup without large amounts of solids and pour it into a hot filter that was cleaned and then left to keep in side the door of the steam hood. Hot moist filters work better for me not dripping wet though with a prefilter or two in the felt. next I take the old filter out of the tank and put it in the rear pan inside the hood being carfull not to let the solids get out of the felt. and basicly get the sugar out of the filter. next in the hot condensate bucket, I while wearing good thick inuslated rubber gloves slosh the dirty filter around and try to get as much of the solids out by hand wringing. then I use an old laundry type wringer to extracate the extra water being carful as the the direction of travel is important improper direction will blow out the bottom of the fileter. and then repeat in a fresh bucket of clean condensate thistime going thru the wringer with the prefilters inplace again being cautious of the direction of travel wringing twoards the top or opening. Once clean i store them in the steam hood just with the hood door closed on them keeping them hot and ready but not soaked. This seems to work for me. Learned it from

Haynes Forest Products
12-28-2010, 03:54 PM
3rdgen I didnt have any luck with prefilters or the orlon cone filters. I never did get good clean/clear syrup until I got a filter press. I spent more time washing, cleaning, swearing and dripping and wasting syrup. I can clean my press in 5 min and have it up and running in 10 with new papers. The cost of papers and filteraid is nothing compared to the time and quality of sap. I got mine when I was taping 800 and making 65 gallons of syrup and ill never go back. Plus wait another 4 years and pay $300.00 more.

shane hickey
12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I would have to agree with haynes, I have only seen and heard of storys of filtering, When i started I had 150 taps and the first thing that I bought in my opperation was a 7'' filter press. at that time it was $1280.00 I now have 2 of them just in case one isn't cleaned in time the second one is ready to go.
Trust us once you have a press you'll never go back to anything else.
shane

markcasper
12-28-2010, 08:36 PM
I used to filter into cone filters with pre-liners that were clothespinned into milk cans. It worked ok,as I had no other choice. I used them with the 4x12, you had to have 3 of them in use all the time. One for drawing off, one for waiting, and one clean one ready to go. That was with straight sap.

You could get 2, maybe 3 gallons through, then pull the preliner and swish the clean end in the boiling flue pan and hang up on the steam hood, I'd do that procedure twice if their was alot in the preliner. Let drain and flip the ball of sand out and swish in clean water and replace. For later season sap this procedure would not work near as well. Never wring out the main filter, or the syrup will be terribly cloudy.

3rdgen.maple
12-28-2010, 09:11 PM
I have no doubt about not going back after a filter press. Just havent hit the magic number in my eyes until recently to make one worth while. I was also looking at the Siro on a post I started a little bit ago. Its is time just waiting for the right deal and was thinking about a 5 inch for now. Anyone with leads on a good 5 inch my ears are listening.

shane hickey
12-28-2010, 09:28 PM
why not go with a 7'' short stack I think that theres some out there that have 3 plates
, I cannot remember where I seen it.
I'll keep my eye out for ya.
shane

3rdgen.maple
12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Just thinking a small 5 in would work better for me but what do I know? I draw off a gallon an hour and just dont want to hold syrup all day to fire up a filter press so I was thinking I could filter every couple draws with a 5. If anyone disagrees let me know cause Im new to a filter press.

mapleack
12-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Bascom has a used 7" hand pump press. Might be a good one for you.

Haynes Forest Products
12-29-2010, 09:30 AM
3rdgen I see in your BIO that you plan on adding 200 every year:rolleyes: Spend the money on a nice 7" and then for some sap you will filter other guys syrup.

maple connection
12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
3rdgen.
There is a person on Maple Trader that makes 5" hand pump presses. To me they look very nice. If it fit in my budget I would buy one.:cry: I can't find his name but, His # is 814-337-0103.